African Export Import Bank (Afreximbank) was established in Abuja, Nigeria in October, 1993 by African Governments, African private and institutional investors as well as non-African financial institutions and private investors for the purpose of financing, promoting and expanding intra-African and extra-African trade.
The Bank, headquartered in Cairo, the capital of the Arab Republic of Egypt, commenced operations on 30 September, 1994, following the signature of a Headquarters Agreement with the host Government in August, 1994. It has branch offices in Harare, Abuja and Abidjan and will open an East Africa branch office shortly.
CA Global Headhunters has been retained by the Afreximbank based in Cairo, Egypt to recruit for the position below:
Job Title: Regional Chief Operating Officer (North Africa)
Reference Number: LEEBLR034
Location: Cairo, Egypt
- The position holder will be required to draw up the annual strategic and marketing plans for the geographic region and lead the implementation of the plans for the achievement of the Bank’s objectives in these areas.
- The position holder will also be required to supervise Client Relations Managers and Associates and identify the Bank’s key/core customers in each region and draw up Account Management Plans for the top customers in Branch for the purpose of maximizing cross selling of the Bank’s products and services.
- The Regional Chief Operating Officer North Africa will drive and ensure the operational efficiency, effectiveness and overall health of the Bank’s portfolio across the region to achieve significant developmental impacts.
- Building a team of highly talented and motivated technical and operational staff, drawn from all sector complexes. This will enable the Bank to improve the quality of all projects and deliver high- quality portfolios to meet the needs of regional member countries and the private sector.
- Supporting countries in the development of country strategy papers and regional integration strategies that will drive country ownership and accelerated delivery on all strategic priorities of the Bank.
- Developing critical resources and the technical capability necessary for sourcing and originating bankable projects. This will include collaboration with the private sector on projects with regional social impacts.
- Ensuring efficient and effective project completion by streamlining and speeding up internal processes, enhancing operational efficiencies, and driving accelerated disbursements on all approved projects.
- Driving greater value for money in all operations and ensuring country and regional offices are cost- effective through prudent management of human and financial resources.
- Fostering a culture of accountability for results across all offices in the respective regions.
- Cultivating and ensuring a culture of “ONE-Bank”, with the highest levels of ethics, fiduciary responsibility and professionalism to protect and enhance the reputation of the Bank.
- Representing the Bank in the region and building strong partnerships with countries, regional economic communities, and other development partners.
- Manages a portfolio of clients with deliberate cultivation based on proactive individualized plans. These plans would be developed in coordination with the product teams and should be designed to increase client engagement;
- Provides client service to each client or government organization. This includes responding to client inquiries in a timely and courteous manner;
- Deal team coordination across the Bank’s products and geographies;
- Finding out what information, products or services the customer requires to meet his/her needs, providing clear, accurate and relevant information;
- Maintaining a strong working knowledge of client portfolios / products with the Bank;
- Resolving customers’ queries within agreed authority;
- Compliance with legal requirements, industry regulations, organisational policies and professional codes;
- Preparation of an annual Regional Strategic and Marketing Plans derived from the Bank’s Strategic Plan for Management’s Approval;
- Leading implementation of marketing plans as approved by the Bank and actively securing mandates and business in the region;
- Implementing strategies for entering various segments of the trade finance market and investment banking in the region;
- Evaluating and reviewing new business Pre-Assessment Memos and Credit Proposals from the region, Product teams and Head Office and making recommendations on the same to Director & Global Head Client Relations;
- Representing the Bank in high level meetings, fora and making presentations in conformity with the high standards for which the Bank has become known;
- Managing staff, Bank’s assets and property at the Branch in liaison with the Administrative Services Department;
- Maintaining and improving the Bank’s image across the region continent; and
- Any other duties as assigned by Senior Management.
Requirements – Qualification and Skill
- Post graduate degree in Business Administration, Banking or Finance from a recognized University or a recognized post graduate professional qualification in Banking;
- Sound experience of at least 10 years with a leading financial services organisation and familiarity with the major trade finance products to be offered to clients especially syndication, co-financing, club deals, correspondent banking products including letters of credit, factoring, forfaiting, structured trade finance, carbon financing, corporate finance risk participations, project-related financing and considerable knowledge of how these work;
- Ability to communicate and function in a culturally diverse and change oriented setting with good knowledge of banking practices in Africa;
- Ability to interact with senior officials of banks, corporates and governments and to represent the Bank in important professional fora where oral presentation of papers will be necessary to high level technical and professional audiences;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English and French. Knowledge of the Bank’s other working languages is an added advantage (Arabic and Portuguese);
- Demonstrated leadership capabilities, including ability to organize and manage human resources to attain goals.
Benefit Contractual Information
- Willing and able to relocate to Cairo
- Suitably qualified candidates from all African nationalities are encouraged to apply
Application Closing Date
30th of July 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV to “Lise Kotze” at: [email protected] using the Job Title as the subject of the email.
Note: Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.