The African Union (AU) is a continental body consisting of the 55 member states that make up the countries of the African Continent. It was officially launched in 2002 as a successor to the Organization of African Unity (OAU, 1963-1999). We are an Integrated, Prosperous and Peaceful Africa, driven by its own citizens and representing a dynamic force in the global arena.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Revisor (French)
Requisition ID: 1551
Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Reports to: Head of Translation Division
Directorate/Department : Conference Management & Publication
Division : Translation Division
Number of Direct Reports: 1
Number of Indirect Reports: 4
Job Grade: P4
Contract Type: Regular
Purpose of Job
- To provide technical leadership for ensuring that translated documents conform to AU standards and norms.
- Provides technical and intellectual support in the management of various partnerships relevant for the division and directorate.
- Identifies best practices and monitors effectiveness of the Division/Directorate’s support to AU.
- Contributes to the development of the departmental strategies and business continuity plan and participate in/ensure their implementation
- Involved in negotiations.
- Fosters and ensures implementation of large-scale and long-term initiatives related to strategic partnerships;
- Supports the organization of thematic networks, consultations and meetings on development cooperation and international relations.
- Develops training materials and provides the necessary training and support to Organization Units.
- Provides technical resource allocation and policy guidance on matters relating to system -Implementation projects and maintenance.
- Revises all texts translated from (English) to (French) on wide range of subjects according to the original document;
- Ensures high standard of accuracy and reliability to the spirit and style of the original text;
- Ensures linguistic accuracy and conformity with established AU standard and norms;
- Provides guidance and feedback to translators to ensure that translated documents conform to the AU standards and norms;
- Consults all relevant sources, technical experts and authors of texts;
- Conducts linguistic research and contribute actively to the inclusion of new terms in the DCMP in-house terminology bank; validate terms proposed by translators for inclusion in the terminology bank;
- Coordinates the use of computer assisted-translation (CAT) tools, promote their utilization and propose improvements;
- Translates documents of wide range subjects where experience and expertise is required while conforming or exceeding to the established AU standard and norms;
- Protects the confidentiality of information;
- Assigns documents to translators and ensures timely translation;
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
- A University Master’s Degree in either Translation, Modern Languages, Linguistics or related fields of study with ten (10) years of progressively responsible experience out of which six (6) years at expert level and 3 at supervisory level.
- Condidates holding a Bachelor’s Degree in either Translation, Modern Manguages, Linguistics or related fields of study with twelve (12) years of progressively responsible experience out of which six (6) years at expert level and 3 at supervisory level.
- Certification of Translators’ professional member status from a recognized professional body is an added advantage
- Leadership and management skills
- Communication, report writing and presentation skills
- Research and analytical skills
- Interpersonal and negotiation skills
- Ability to work in teams and in a multi-cultural environment
- Knowledge in international policies and strategies
- Knowledge in the use of computer assisted-translation (CAT)
- Knowledge and working understanding of AU policies, systems and standards
- Planning and Organization skills.
- Proficiency in one of the AU official working languages (French, English, Portuguese, Arabic); fluency in another AU language(s) is an added advantage.
- Strategic Insight
- Developing Others
- Change Management
- Managing Risk.
- Building Relationships
- Foster Accountability Culture
- Learning Orientation
- Communicating with Influence.
- Conceptual Thinking
- Job Knowledge and information sharing…
- Drive for Result
- Continuous Improvement Orientation ….
- Revisor need to be proficient in English and French specificaly for this position
- Fluency in another AU language (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese, and Spanish) is an added advantage
Tenure of Appointment
- The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
- The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Indicative basic salary of US$ 42,879.00 (P4 Step1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment ( 46% of basic salary), Housing allowance US$ 26,208.00 (per annum), and education allowance (100% of tuition and other education-related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00 per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally recruited staff.
Application Closing Date
19th December, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Only candidates who have met all the requirements of the post and have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
- Only applications registered online with a complete curriculum vitae (CV) attached will be considered.
- The Africa Union is an equal opportunity employer and female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.