The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: RH Midwife
Requisition ID: req33476
Location: Monguno, Borno
Employment Type: Full Time
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Open to Expatriates: No
Job Overview / Summary
- The Reproductive Health (RH) Midwife is a member of the health team and will be responsible for supporting the implementation of the Emergency Reproductive Health activities in Monguno including the MISP (Minimum Initial Service Package for RH in Crisis Situations) according to the IRC and donor work plans.
- She will work to ensure the improved quality of the project’s clinical activities e.g., counseling and provision of family planning, maternal and neonatal care, Antenatal and Post-natal Care, Post-abortion care, case management of sexually transmitted diseases and the clinical management of sexual assault survivors in the IRC supported health facilities.
- Provide the Clinical Care for Sexual Assault Survivors (CCSAS) according to national protocols and guidelines.
- Provide the clinical care activities in the IRC RH clinical area or at the maternity
- Adhere to and practice use of Universal Precautions and proper waste management at all IRC supported health facilities.
- Performs basic and assisted delivery care.
- Performs any needed neonatal and obstetric resuscitation activity.
- Ensures timely supported referrals to the nearest Emergency Obstetric Care center.
- Provide technical support and guidance to other midwives in assisted deliveries (by vacuum, forceps, and breech).
- Identifies survivors of sexual assault and refers them for registration, counseling, and Clinical Care Support the RH and GBV clinic staff with technical advice and provides services in line with the MoH and/ or international best practice guidelines.
- Monitor progress against grant work plan; promptly identifying any current or potential delays and recommending solutions to technical issues.
- Prepare Purchase Request forms for program supplies/activities and undertake field procurement as designated and authorized.
- Monitor program supply inventory levels; perform monthly spot-checks on program inventory
- Work with and provide timely technical support to IRC’s implementing partners; maintain respectful and constructive relations with partner staff, services providers and patients.
- Fully comply with IRC safety and security procedures and provide input to security monitoring and assessments to enable and promote a safe and secure environment for program implementation.
Coordination & Representation:
- He/she will represent the department in meetings on delegation by the Medical Doctor, or Senior Health Officer in Monguno.
Key Working Relationships
- Other Midwives and health colleagues (health officers & assistants),RHClinical support staff, Women Protection and Empowerment (WPE) staff, CYPD staff, Pharmacy & Humanitarian Access Safety & Security.
- Position Technically Reports to: Medical Doctor
- Indirect Reporting: Senior Health Officer
- Position directly Supervises: Clinical support staff, incentive workers, cleaners & guards.
Key Internal Contacts:
- Country Program: Nigeria
- Region/Global: West Africa
Key External Contacts:
- Sister INGO’s, CBO’s in Monguno, Health Cluster Monguno, SEMA,etc.
- Education: Qualified Midwife / Nurse with a Degree / Diploma / Certificate and a practicing license in Midwifery or Nursing.
- Work Experience: Approximately 2-3 years of professional experience in Midwifery and Nursing care, preferably in SRH, at BEMONC and at primary health care level.
Demonstrated Technical Skills:
- Great communication skills, on sensitive RH topics and generally in providing RH education.
- Previous relevant NGO experience would be an added advantage.
- 1 year of experience counseling survivors of abuse or violence with a reputable organization.
- Clear understanding of gender equality and gender issues for women and girls.
- Ability to maintain beneficiary confidentiality and respect always is essential.
- Ability to lead, train, supervise and facilitate other midwives, nursing staff and community health workers in their respective tasks.
- Positive and professional attitude, able to organize, maintain composure and prioritize work under pressure, work overtime when necessary and be able to coordinate multiple tasks and maintain attention to detail.
- Ability to work as a member of a team is essential.
- Ability to communicate in English and write clear and concise reports in English.
Demonstrated Managerial / Leadership Competencies:
- Strong sense of personal integrity, attention to detail, flexibility, and ability to work with people with diverse culture, religious background, and ethnicity.
- English, Hausa and Kanuri will be an added advantage.
Computer / Other Tech Requirements:
- Full professional competency in Microsoft Office Suite, especially Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
Ability to Travel:
- 5 % of time if applicable.
- Monguno LGA is relatively safe, the security situation is unpredictable, the network at times is epileptic and temperature hot most times.
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. IRC considers all applicants based on merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
- People Living with disability and women are strongly encouraged to apply.