The African Union (AU) is a continental body consisting of the 55 member states that make up the countries of the African Continent. It was officially launched in 2002 as a successor to the Organization of African Unity (OAU, 1963-1999). We are an Integrated, Prosperous and Peaceful Africa, driven by its own citizens and representing a dynamic force in the global arena.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Communications Officer (ACERWC)
Requisition ID: 1497
Location: Maseru, Lesotho
Reports to: Deputy Secretary
Directorate / Department: Health, Humanitarian Affairs and Social Development
Division: African Committee of Experts on the Rights and Welfare of the Child (ACERWC)
Number of Direct Reports: 1
Number of Indirect Reports: 0
Job Grade: P3
Contract Type: Regular
Purpose of Job
- The African Union, established as a unique Pan African continental body, is charged with spearheading Africa’s rapid integration and sustainable development by promoting unity, solidarity, cohesion and cooperation among the peoples of Africa and African States as well as developing a new partnership worldwide. Its headquarters is located in Addis Ababa, capital of Ethiopia.
- In seeking to achieve these objectives, the African Union invites applicants who are citizens of Member States for the post of Senior Communication Officer at the Secretariat of the ACERWC based in Maseru, the Kingdom of Lesotho.
- The ACERWC is a human rights organ of the AU with the mandate to promote and protect the rights and welfare of children in Africa.
- The Committee was established by the Organization of African Unity (OAU), now the African Union (AU), by virtue of Article 32 of the African Charter on the Rights and Welfare of the Child (The African Children’s Charter) to monitor the implementation of the Charter.
- In view of the above background, the AU invites qualified and competent applicants who are citizens of Member States of the African Union with relevant skills, competencies and experiences to submit their applications for the position of Senior Communication Officer at the Secretariat of the ACERWC based in Maseru, the Kingdom of Lesotho.
The Senior Communication Officer shall:
- Provide strategic guidance on the communication activities of ACERWC including coordination, advocacy and communication strategies, planning and implementation,
- Provide technical and intellectual support in the management of various elements related to the area of expertise
- Provide advocacy, communication and social mobilization support to ACERWC projects and activities to promote Information sharing and Communication.
- Identify best practices and monitor effectiveness of the Office’s support to AU.
- Assist in the development of the strategies and business continuity plan and contribute to their implementation
- Contribute to development of guidelines, policies and manuals that can guide programmes, system improvement initiatives and overall decision making by higher management in the respective area of expertise.
- Provide support to the implementation of initiatives related to area of specialization;
- Assist in the organization of thematic networks, make contributions during consultations and meetings
- Contribute in development of materials and provide necessary training and support to Organization Units as required.
- Provide technical guidance on matters relating to system review and implementation project in area of specialization, as required.
- Ensure maximum visibility of ACERWC through working with the relevant Officers to bring out, package and promote ACERWC achievements; guide programme activities which require communication support and proactively seek out achievements and disseminate such in the best communication approach;
- Establish strong linkages with relevant Media/News/Communication outlets, organizations and Institutions to enhance ACERWC Communication activities;
- Prepare Communication tools to cover the Sessions and meetings of the ACERWC;
- Develop, maintain and update media relations contact list/database;
- Establish, document, review and refine process of communicating with media contacts, including press conferences and events, issuing of media materials etc;
- Record, document and store all Committee activities on video, pictures and reports
- Ensure rapid and accurate information dissemination to the media, NGOs, other appropriate audiences;
- Identify, develop, distribute and evaluate variety of media materials in multiple, appropriate formats (Press releases, feature stories etc);
- Research, write and edit in-house publications including the ACERWC newsletter and other articles; speeches, report summaries, case studies and human-interest stories;
- Lead the production and dissemination of communication materials, including brochures, posters, info-graphics, audio-visuals and policy documents that can be used by the Committee, Member States, RECs, CSOs and other stakeholders
- Develop press and communication materials for media events to disseminate key research study findings;
- Organize events for public stakeholders, implementing partners and journalists to sensitize and create awareness ACERWC’s work;
- Write and edit web-based information materials in order to daily maintain and update ACERWC’s online communication platforms (website and social media).
- Support in any writing and or editing tasks that may arise at the Secretariat outside the scope defined above.
- Supervise the activities of the Communication Officer, appraise his/her work performance, guide, motivate and plan for any required professional development initiatives and trainings.
- Performs any duties as requested by supervisor.
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
- A Master’s Degree in Communications, International Relations, Public Relations, or Journalism. At least seven (7) years of relevant professional work experience of which three (3) years should be at supervisory level OR
- A University Bachelor Degree in the above-mentioned areas of study, with at least ten (10) years of relevant work experience out of which three (3) years of at supervisory level.
- At least three (3) years of post-qualification, increasingly responsible work experience in communication, writing and content creation and public relations;
- Experience working on child rights issues in Africa
- Experience in Website management
- Experience in designing printed and online materials
- Knowledge of the work of the ACERWC and the African Human Rights System.
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment;
- Ability to work independently to meet critical and competing deadlines (multi-tasking), to produce high quality work in short timeframes;
- Excellent interpersonal/teamwork skills,
- Must be computer literate with a working knowledge of common computer applications and systems;
- Excellent drafting, reporting, communication and presentation skills.
- Strong program/project management skills
- Strong analytical skills
- Excellent planning and organizing skills
- Ability to liaise with a diverse range of people and stakeholders;
- Applicants must be proficient in one of the African Union working languages (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese or Spanish). Knowledge of one more or several other working languages would be an added advantage.
- Strategic Insight..
- Developing Others
- Change Management….
- Managing Risk…
- Building Relationships
- Foster Accountability Culture.
- Learning Orientation
- Communicating with Influence.
- Conceptual thinking
- Job Knowledge Sharing
- Drive for result
- Continuous Improvement Orientation.
Tenure of Appointment
- The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period.
- Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
- Proficiency in one of the AU working languages (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese, and Spanish) and fluency in another AU language is an added advantage.
Indicative basic salary of USD37,453.00 (P3 Step1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment (57% of basic salary), Housing allowance USD21,832.68 (per annum), and education allowance (100% of tuition and other education-related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of USD10,000.00 per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally recruited staff.
Application Closing Date
6th December, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Only candidates who have met all the requirements of the post and have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
- Only applications registered online with a complete curriculum vitae (CV) attached will be considered.
- The Africa Union is an equal opportunity employer and female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Gender Mainstreaming: The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.