African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Director, Information Technology / Chief Information Technology Officer
Location: Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire
Position Grade: EL4
- The Vice-Presidency, Technology and Corporate Services (TCVP) is responsible for the design, development and delivery of efficient, people-centered, client-oriented, corporate services and information-technology solutions to ensure overall institutional effectiveness in all aspects of the Bank’s corporate services.
- The Complex provides leadership in the formulation and implementation of Bank’s strategies, policies, controls and approaches on organizational information technology systems, software applications, cyber security, IT support and infrastructure systems.
- The Complex is also responsible for management of the Bank’s real estate assets, institutional procurement, language services and business continuity.
The Hiring Department
- The mandate of the Corporate Information Technology Services (TCIS) Department is to advise the Bank’s Management and provide technical leadership in the continuous improvement of the Bank’s information and communication technology (ICT) infrastructure and its computing and knowledge and data storage systems.
- The Department is also mandated to provide technical services to all organisational units in the Bank and its Regional Centres, Country Offices and External Representation Offices on cost-effective ICT and computing business solutions for their work programmes.
- In the fulfilment of those mandates, the Department leads the acquisition and adaptation, or the in-house development, of ICT and computing platforms and collaboration tools to enhance the efficiency of business processes and the quality of Bank products through more effective file sharing, and to increase the Bank’s organisational effectiveness through seamless communications.
- The African Development Bank is looking for a Senior Director to take the lead across Information Technology. Reporting to the Vice President for Technology and Corporate Services, the successful candidate will be responsible for ensuring world-class service enhancement with the overarching mandate of combining operational resilience in conjunction with building and implementing an outstanding technology strategy in order to achieve a sustained advantage for the Bank.
- The Bank is currently in the process of a major systems transformation following the implementation of S/4Hana in 2019, and the successful candidate will take responsibility for the four key pillars in the technology function.
- Given the challenges around a transformation journey, the successful candidate should have a strong application development background preferably with experience across ERP.
- They should also have experience with data, data privacy, IT security and be able to demonstrate a modern approach around IT architecture.
- The candidate will have responsibility for managing multi-disciplinary technology teams and should have major transformation experience, having worked with outsourcing partners in the past.
- The role requires a demonstrative ability to work closely with and influence numerous internal stakeholders, and the successful candidate should be passionate about all aspects of digital transformation.
- The African Development Bank is committed to recruiting and developing diverse leadership and is happy to consider international candidates who are willing to be based in Abidjan.
Under the overall supervision of the Vice President for Technology and Corporate Services, the Senior Director Information Technology/Chief Information Technology Officer, will perform the following duties:
- Define and execute the Bank’s information technology strategy and digital strategy and programs that are aligned with the Bank’s business strategy;
- Plan, organize, direct and supervise the activities of the Department: set its goals and objectives, lead the team of the department, evaluate its performance, manage the staff performance and potential, and determine staff training needs;
- Utilize expert knowledge and understanding of ICT implications for changing operational needs to explain complex concepts clearly and effectively, as well as formulate and communicate the operational value of investments, expenditures and resources related to information technology;
- Prepare the capital and administrative budgets for information technologies, and ensure their proper execution and optimal use of resources, in compliance with the existing procedures and rules;
- Advise and make recommendations to the President, Vice-Presidents and Board of Directors on all matters relating to information systems and digital technology;
- Ensure the implementation of policies and procedures to maintain an effective level of security for the bank’s ICT resources and systems; in liaison with the Security Unit and the Cyber Security Unit;
- Ensure the efficient operation of the network including CLOUD network connections / interactions, assist internal customers, ensure required training and manage changes associated with technology trends;
- Supervise the operation of devices for centralized data processing and office automation equipment, and take corrective measures, where necessary, to ensure continued information technology services to bank staff;
- Ensure operation and development of ICT systems that allow for continuity of Bank activities in emergency and disaster situations;
- Maintain effective working external relations with partners, suppliers, other multilateral development banks (MDB), non-governmental organisations, and other international entities or institutions, as may be needed in the execution of work programs;
- Identify digital technology trends and assess their impact on the bank’s resources and strategies/plans, and prepare the said ICT/Digital strategies/plans in the short and long terms, and defend them before the bank’s Management and Board of Directors;
- Represent the bank in committees and boards whose activities are related to information technology and ICT matters related to work methodologies.
- Lead digital transformation process and programs at the Bank;
- Champion and lead the bank’s digital transformation into a Smart Bank;
- Perform any other duties as may be needed to effectively perform this role.
Competencies (Skills, Experience & Knowledge)
- A minimum of a Master’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Business Administration or in closely related disciplines;
- A minimum of ten (10) years’ experience with a strong track record in cost-conscious operational excellence and digital transformation across a multilocal/global matrix organization;
- Extensive experience in positions of increasing responsibility in information technology, with at least ten (10) years in a management position;
- Strong and established leadership ability – an established track record of leading teams and building strategic direction, with the ability to translate trends in technology to the changing business environment. The jobholder will provide strategic and operational leadership in the event of an incident occurring within the Bank’s technology estate;
- Industry leading knowledge of technology products and platforms, and ability to apply this in support of the bank’s strategic priorities – The jobholder will have a detailed understanding of the technology environment, with extensive experience of utilizing emerging and traditional technological methods to ensure the effective delivery of technology initiatives and strategy;
- Solid experience in planning and implementing ICT strategy, as well as in formulating, applying, and assessing ICT policies, programs and major projects; up-to-date knowledge of ICT and its trends;
- Practical experience in ICT Governance, agile management, and DevOps;
- A proven record of effectively leading teams in the effective implementation of ICT programs including appropriate deployment of human resources to meet business needs;
- Proven ability to weigh alternative solutions to situations, recommend the best alternative, and effectively and efficiently deploy resources to achieve optimum results;
- Experience in a similar matrix organisation with multiple locations, and demonstrated capabilities to effectively lead central ICT services in a fast-paced, dynamic multi-project environment;
- Experience in reconciling department budgets to minimize costs and ensure cost effectiveness and managing both CAPEX and OPEX;
- A track record of effectively managing the entire process of acquiring products or services to support business operations, including: identifying business needs, specifying the requirements to address these needs, identifying potential suppliers, soliciting bids and proposals, evaluating bids and proposals, awarding contracts or purchase orders, tracking progress and ensuring compliance, taking delivery, inspecting and inventorying the deliverable, paying the supplier, and ongoing cost and supplier performance management against contracts / work schedules / agreed deliverables;
- Ability to undertake sound analysis (skills and methods), in order to conceptualize future work or organisational changes and develop strategies for change which includes strategic mind-set and capacity to translate strategic thinking into a compelling plan of action of a large international institution;
- Strong familiarity with enterprise applications, including SAP;
- Excellent written and verbal communications in English or French with a working knowledge of the other language;
- Knowledge of relevant national and international legislation. E.g.: the Data Protection Act and the EU Procurement Directive.
Broader Candidate cCompetencies Focus on five key pillars:
- The ability to create and articulate an inspiring vision for the organisation, not only for the areas they are directly responsible for, but the enterprise as a whole.
- The inclination to seek and analyze data from a variety of sources to support decisions and to align others with the organization’s overall strategy.
- An entrepreneurial and creative approach to developing new, innovative ideas that will stretch the organisation and push the boundaries within the industry.
- The ability to effectively balance the desire/need for broad change with an understanding of how much change the organisation is capable of handling, to create realistic goals and implementation plans that are achievable and successful.
Executing for Results:
- The ability to set clear and challenging goals while committing the organisation to improved performance; tenacious and accountable in driving results.
- Comfortable with ambiguity and uncertainty; the ability to adapt nimbly and lead others through complex situations.
- Embraces reasonable risk-taking, by seeking data and input from others to foresee possible threats or unintended circumstances from decisions.
- A leader who is viewed by others as having a high degree of integrity and forethought in their approach to making decisions; the ability to act in a transparent and consistent manner while always taking into account what is best for the organisation.
- The ability to attract and recruit top talent, motivate the team, delegate effectively, celebrate diversity within the team, and manage performance; widely viewed as a strong developer of others.
- The ability to persevere in the face of challenges, and exhibit a steadfast resolve and relentless commitment to higher standards, which commands respect from followers.
- A leader who is self-reflective and aware of their own limitations; leads by example and drives the organization’s performance with an attitude of continuous improvement by being open to feedback and self-improvement.
Relationships and Influence:
- Naturally connects and builds strong relationships with others, demonstrating strong emotional intelligence and an ability to communicate clearly and persuasively.
- An ability to inspire trust and followership in others through compelling influence, powerful charisma, passion in their beliefs, and active drive.
- Encourages others to share the spotlight and visibly celebrates and supports the success of the team.
- Creates a sense of purpose/meaning for the team that generates followership beyond their own personality and engages others to the greater purpose for the organization as a whole.
- Firmly believes that both sustainability and profit are in the organization’s best long-term interest.
- Integrates economic, societal, and environmental factors into a purpose-driven strategy, turning sustainability into a competitive advantage.
- Understands and incorporates viewpoints from all key stakeholders to drive decision making and share the benefits.
- Delivers breakthrough innovations and business models that create value for all stakeholders, continually challenging traditional approaches.
Application Closing Date
6th November 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: This position is classified international status and attracts international terms and conditions of employment.