The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior EH Manager
Requisition ID: req18824
Location: Mubi, Adamawa
Employment Type: Full-Time
Employment Category: Regular
Sector: Environmental Health
Open to Expatriates: No
Job Overview / Summary
- Under the supervision of the Environmental Health Coordinator, the senior environmental health manager will be responsible for IRC WASH component in Adamawa, Yobe and Part of Borno (Askira Uba LGA), ensuring WASH interventions within the area of interventions are in accordance with IRC and donor requirement.
- S/he reports to the environmental health coordinator and will work closely with other environmental health managers to ensure efficient use of resources, s/he will provide leadership and provide technical support to the IRC WASH team in Adamawa and Yobe, ensure all WASH project are implemented within the standards and proposed project time frame.
- Ensure that all IRC WASH related activities across Adamawa and Yobe meets the need of the beneficiaries and in line with sphere, IRC, donor regulations and in line with Nigeria’s standards.
- Ensure high quality implementation of the WASH component across Adamawa and Yobe field sites, in a timely manner, within budget, and in full compliance with the donor contract and IRC rules and regulations.
- Ensure that WASH interventions are appropriately-planned, adequately resourced and implemented in according to the IRC integration strategy for WASH and other sector in line with accountability guidelines.
- Ensure good internal coordination, communication and spirit with the WASH teams across Adamawa and Yobe offices
- Actively participate in internal and external coordination such as IRC internal coordination meeting and the WASH cluster meeting in Adamawa/Yobe and other LGAs.
- In collaboration with the other IRC sectors including RH, protection and WPE, ensure that protection mainstreaming and menstrual hygiene management (MHM) cut across WASH activities in Adamawa and Yobe whilst the quality and timeliness of all WASH outcome are met during project implementation.
- Work closely with M&E team to develop and improve M&E and feedback mechanisms for the EH Adamawa and Yobe program, ensuring that the EH teams in the field actively monitor set indicators and effectively address concerns of the target communities.
- Work closely with Supply Chain department to develop and monitor procurement and distribution plans for all active grants in Adamawa and Borno on a monthly basis. Lead in all WASH assessment with in Adamawa and Yobe location, ensuring that Concept notes/proposals and reports are informed by the findings of the assessments.
- Lead the internal and external reporting and proposal development for WASH in Adamawa and Yobe; ensuring that all reports and proposal are submitted to EH coordinator on time to allow for review before final submission to the country office.
- In collaboration with the program support officer, managers, review Budget vs. Actual expenditures for EH programs on a monthly basis. Bring any over/under expenditure issues to the attention of the EH Coordinator in a timely manner.
Human Resources, Finance, Logistics and Security:
- Supervise other WASH Managers in Adamawa and Yobe by applying the IRC’s performance management tools and by providing technical and non-technical management support and advice;
- Participate in the recruitment of new WASH staff and Manage the WASH budget lines of related active grants
- Provide support to others WASH Managers in Adamawa and Yobe by ensure that all IRC WASH spending in different grants is carried out and accounted for in a manner that is compliant with IRC procurement and financial regulations ensuring no overspending or underspending.
- Provide support to others WASH managers by working with the Operation team to ensure, the WASH teams receive the necessary support in terms of transport, procurement and warehousing.
- Ensure compliance with IRC security procedures for WASH interventions, as well as a high degree of security awareness and preparedness among the WASH teams.
Technical Guidance and Training:
- Spend significant time on WASH intervention sites to monitor activities and provide practical technical guidance to the team.
- Based on needs and gaps, provide formal and informal technical training to WASH managers and staffs and identify external training opportunities as needed. Actively participate in the couching and capacity building of other EH managers on report writing and proposal development.
- Work closely with the senior environmental health manager Borno to coordinate activities for the BAY States and enhance consolidation and reports to the EH Coordinator.
Key Working Relationships:
- Position Reports to: Senior Environmental Health Manager (Adamawa and Yobe)
- Position directly supervises: Two Environmental Health Managers
- Indirect Reporting: Grant, Supply Chain and Finance team
- Other Internal and/or external contacts: Consistently and proactively monitor / assess the safety and security of the team; promptly reporting concerns or incidents to IRC management and liaising with community leaders and other external parties as required to maintain/enhance the security environment for IRC programs
- Any other duties as assigned by the EH Coordinator, to enable and develop IRC programs
- M.Sc / B.Eng / B.Sc. In geology, Civil and Water Resources Engineering, Public Health, Environmental Health, and other related courses with minimum of three years’ experience practicing WASH in humanitarian and development context.
- Very Command of written English to produce documents and reports in good standard
- Ability to maintain good working relationship with colleagues and partners
- Experience in collecting and collating qualitative and quantitative data
- High experience in budget analysis related to budget tracking for different donor funds
- Ability to work with data collection and analysis software
- Accuracy and keen attention to details, in order to produce high quality documents and maintain good records
- Commitment to IRC values and principles
- All IRC staff are required to adhere to THE IRC Way Standards for Professional Conduct and the IRC country employment policies.
- Standards for Professional Conduct:
- The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct.
- These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
Demonstrated Skills and Competencies:
- Competent in Windows
- MS office programs
- AutoCAD (or similar computer aided design)
- Email and database experience;
- Fluent in spoken and written English, Hausa or any local language skills are a plus
Certificates or Licenses:
- Applicable to relevant qualification
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Standards of Professional Conduct:
- The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in the IRC Way – Code of Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Harassment-Free Workplace, Fiscal Integrity, Anti-Retaliation, Combating Trafficking in Persons and several others.
- IRC is committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols and other supportive benefits and allowances.
- IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.