African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Equity Portfolio Management Officer, PINS2
>>>CLICK HERE to Join JOBS IN NIGERIA & OVERSEAS Telegram Channel
Position Number: 50086910
Location: Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire
Position Grade: PL5
- The Vice Presidency for Private Sector, Infrastructure and Industrialization is central to the Bank’s mission of developing the private sector, improving infrastructure and accelerating industrialization.
- The complex main functions are to:
- Strengthen the enabling environment for private sector [and financial sector] development conducive to inclusive growth and sustainable development,
- Support the development of reliable and sustainable infrastructure, including cities and urban development, and;
- Place renewed emphasis on industrial and trade performance in support of structural transformation across Africa.
- The Complex leverages knowledge, co-financing, and partnerships to attract private capital and work with governments on delivering the Bank’s development agenda.
The Hiring Department:
- For effective, coherent and harmonized Private Sector Operations performed by the 5 sectoral departments of the Bank (Energy, Infrastructure, Industry and Trade, Agriculture and Social Services, Financial services) a Central Support Department for NSOs-related activities (PINS) was recently put in place.
- The primary role of PINS is to: (i) assist Sector Departments to efficiently design and monitor NSOs, in a coherent manner, in line with the best market practices and in consistency with the Bank’s related Strategies, Policies and Guidelines, including the Bank’s Private Sector Development Strategy and Policy, (ii) manage the corporate portfolio comprises equity, debt and guaranty instrument.
The main responsibilities of the Equity Portfolio Management officer are:
- Supervise and monitor active equity investments of the Bank (identifying risks, proposing mitigants),
- Contribute to corporate portfolio management reporting,
- Ensure dissemination of lessons learnt and knowledge sharing on Private Equity development.
Under the supervision of the Division Manager, the Equity Portfolio Management officer will perform the following duties:
- Analyze and monitor the Bank’s equity investment portfolio assigned to him/her, Carry-out the Supervision related activities of the Bank’s Private Equity Investments and periodically report on activities.
- Prepare mandatory portfolio reports namely the Annual Supervision Reports (ASRs), Quarterly Project Status Report (PSRs) and/or Extended Supervision Reports (XSRs) on the assigned PE investments.
- Process recommendation for clearance for all resolutions, waiver requests including rescheduling, restructuring, and other changes in the terms of investment agreements, lead discussions (internal and external) and prepare the internal documents required to obtain relevant approval in line with the Delegation Authority Matrix of the Bank.
- Initiate and Participate in calls / virtual meetings pertaining to the assigned equity investment portfolio with Fund Managers, other investors or co-investors and ACs members, etc.
- Review and clear with AC representatives capital calls / distribution notices from Funds and Companies before recording on system and payment processing;
- Review and analyze the adequacy of quarterly valuation of each of the assigned portfolio assets (methodology, assumptions, accuracy of multiples and comparable (whichever is applicable), consistency of projections over time, early warning signals for potential impairment, etc.);
- Prepare Briefs on assigned projects or other matters related to the portfolio as and when requested;
- Contribute in the analysis of equity investments and portfolio trends and report on portfolio quality in terms of financial performance, operational performance, environmental impacts and development effectiveness.
- Assist in implementation of the internal and external audit recommendation related to equity portfolio management.
- As part of Project Appraisal Team (PAT), contribute lessons learned and input to the origination teams at screening stage and through the appraisal process and negotiation of investments.
- Work closely with the Advisory Committee members of Private Equity Funds to ensure homogenization of practices and strong governance.
- Attend seminars/conferences/workshops dealing with Private Equity development on the continent to enhance PE industry knowledge.
- Contribute to capacity building seminars as applicable.
- Handle other ad hoc assignments as requested by the Management team of PINS.
Competencies (Skills, Experience and Knowledge)
- At least a Master’s degree in Business Administration, Finance, Accounting, Law or Economics or related subjects.
- A minimum of five (5) years of relevant professional experience in the Bank or a similar institution and/or in strategic consultancy, Private Equity Fund, Asset Management.
- Experience and understanding of direct equity investment and private equity funds management.
- Knowledge of equity valuation methods.
- Experience in equity investment appraisal.
- Proven ability to acquire new skills (particularly in legal, investment, risk capital, technology and innovative sectors).
- Capacity to adapt to the rapidly evolving needs of the Bank’s Non-Sovereign Operations ecosystem.
- Knowledge of international economic development issues is not essential but would be an asset.
- Sense of initiative and innovation in proposing solutions to clients and partners’ needs.
- Ability to respond swiftly to new situations and to anticipate new issues.
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French, preferably with a working knowledge of the other.
- Strong interpersonal skills and agility to communicate at all levels of the organization.
- Competence in the use of Bank standard software (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint). Knowledge of SAP and eFront is desirable.
Application Closing Date
12th September, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Important Information and Notice
- This position is classified international status and attracts international terms and conditions of employment.
- Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem to “HR Direct” via: [email protected]
Apply for this Position:
- Regular Staff: If you are currently working at the African Development Bank as a regular staff, click on the button below to apply for this position.
- External Candidate: If you are not currently working at the African Development Bank, or if you are a Short Term Staff (STS), a Technical Assistant or a Consultant at the Bank, click on the button below to apply for the position.
- To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.