International Organization for Migration (IOM) is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental andnon-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for thebenefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Finance Assistant
Organizational Unit: Resource Management
Type of Appointment: Special short-term graded, six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
- Irregular migration, particularly along the Central Mediterranean route from Nigeria- North Africa- Europe, is extremely dangerous.
- These migrants experience more gross human rights violations and mortalities compared to any other migration route around the globe.
- The International Organization for Migration (IOM) remains committed to intensifying efforts to protect the high number of migrants rescued at sea, and along the central Mediterranean route, by strengthening collaboration with key stakeholders in transit countries, and working with Government stakeholders, UN Agencies, and civil society in countries of origin, to address the drivers of irregular migration and strengthen direct assistance for vulnerable migrants.
- There is a need to raise awareness among actors, returned and potential migrants on the benefits of safe migration and steps they can take in addressing violence, exploitation, and abuse.
- Working under the overall supervision of the Resource Management Officer and under the direct supervision of the Senior Finance
- Assistant/Team Lead, the candidate will carry out the following responsibilities:
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Verifies the Payment Requests with the supporting documents before submission to RMO/ SRMO for final review /endorsement. Verifies invoices and ascertains that the equipment, supplies or services they refer to were duly received before proceeding with the Payment Request
- Verify and enter Costumer Invoice for sale of assets or other property and request for reimbursement and ensure proper documentation is completed timely.
- Assist in the preparation of financial monitoring reports for the assigned projects, analysing and ensuring that the allocated funds are efficiently disbursed, and with regards to the staff and office cost, ensure the only the eligible costs have been charged.
- Assist the RMO and SRMO in preparation of annual budget submission and revisions including estimating the cost of staff as well as rental and utilities, office equipment and supplies, printing, and other contracts, services or running expenses, to Include in the budget.
- Assist in monthly Office Cost Projectization analysis file at the beginning of each month.
- Ensure vendor accounts are monitored and cleared in a timely manner. Assist in clearing and maintaining the control accounts in the SAP system periodically.
- Ensure the accurate performance of bank reconciliation to the respective bank GLs on a timely manner
- Undertake quality control checks on the monthly accounts, assist the month end accounts closure and ensure the deadlines are adhered to rules and procedures.
- Assist Project Managers on any arising issues concerning the financial monitoring reports and the RMO and Project Managers to produce both interim and final financial reports for the active projects and assist in carrying out financial analysis
- Assist in liaison with the RMO, project external auditors and IOM internal auditors in conducting such audits and handle the audit queries raised by donors for the completed projects.
- In consultation with RMO, assist in preparation of response to the queries outside the mission (internal and external) within reasonable timeframe.
- Clear Periodic checklist queries/ project review queries forwarded by RAS in coordination with the RMO/SRMO and respond to RAS, MRF, HQ and other missions
- Analyze and report on expenditure and variations within projects. Bring to the attention of the RMO any relevant financial and budgetary issues on an ongoing basis.
- Assist in the preparation of monthly, quarterly, or annual financial reports, including financial reports for the Mission and donors, adhering to established reporting deadlines set by project agreements.
- Assist in liaising with the IOM bank in Nigeria as well as IOM treasury unit in Geneva to ensure there is sufficient funds in the missions’ bank accounts to meet the mission’s financial commitments
- Maintain and ensure the appropriate internal controls are observed to safeguard the Organizational assets and prevent frauds and make suggestions for improvements.
- Assist in the preparation of documentation for project outside PRIMA including preparation BNP.
- Performs any other duties as may be assigned from time to time
- Required Qualifications and Experience
- University Degree / Certificate in Finance, Accounting, Banking and Finance or any other related field with four years of relevant working experience.
- Any professional certification in accounting will be an added advantage.
- Knowledge of accounting systems (SAP advantage), generally accepted accounting principles and audit/review procedures.
- Ability to analyze and interpret source information and data; capable of designing, reviewing, and revising business processes to achieve efficiency.
- Previous work experience in international organizations would be an advantage preferably within the United Nations or within the international humanitarian field.
- Experience in dealing with UN policies, procedures and operations is desirable.
- Experience in financial reporting and management.
- Experience working in multicultural and multi-ethnic environments.
- Demonstrated organizational and time management skills.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality is mandatory.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills and ability to present ideas in a user-friendly language.
- Ability to work under time constraints and deadlines in challenging settings.
- Proficiency in computer applications (MS Word, Excel, Outlook, Sharepoint etc.).
- Ability to work quickly and accurately and pay attention to detail.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain integrity in performing responsibilities assigned.
- Willingness to assist efficiently in a very busy project environment.
- Personal commitment, efficiency, flexibility, drive for results, creative thinking, organized, accurate.
- Ability to work under time constraints and deadlines in challenging settings.
- English Language is required (Oral and Written)
- Working knowledge of the local language
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – Behavioural Indicators Level 2:
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
- Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
Application Closing Date
16th November, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their applications via email to: HRNIGERIA@iom.int using” SVN2022.152 Lagos. Senior Finance Assistant G6″ as the subject of the mail.
Click here to apply online
Important Information and Notice
- For the applications to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications with a Cover Letter not more than one page specifying the motivation for application, addressed to Human Resources, International Organization for Migration (IOM)
- All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers, and detailed curriculum vitae (CV).
- This position is open only to Nigerian National applicants and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- No Fees: IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training, or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
- Only candidates residing in the country of the duty station and within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, confirmation of all documents, and security clearances.
- The appointment is subject to funding confirmation.
- Women with the above qualifications are encouraged to apply.