The International Organization for Migration (IOM) – Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Information Management & GIS Assistant
SVN No. : SVN2022.144
Organizational Unit: Displacement Tracking Matrix (DTM)
IOM Classification: G6
Type of Appointment: Special Short-Term (SST) 6 months with the possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
- Under the overall supervision of the DTM Coordinator and the direct supervision of the Information Management/GIS Officer (DTM), and in close technical coordination with the Project Officer and Database Officer, the successful candidate will be providing DTM data management and GIS support through reporting, research and Analysis, editing, maps, publication and dissemination of relevant quantitative and qualitative products via DTM website.
- S/he will coordinate, in close collaboration with the field office assistant on the field, the data collection process and analysis in the duty station s/he has been assigned to.
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Support the planning, design, and implementation of an integrated and interoperable mechanism for data collection and information management across all Displacement Tracking Matrix activities to ensure accurate and reliable data is collected, stored and submitted promptly to be further processed.
- Support DTM Information Management (IM)/Geographic Information System (GIS) Officer to ensure effective IM workflows about DTM implementation. Ensure regular monitoring as per agreed timelines; prepare activities status and progress reports; prepare dashboards, and narratives for FMP reports in coordination with RO on a weekly, monthly, and quarterly basis.
- Ensure the effective use of the designated DTM information systems, including offline and online platforms, application tools, and other systems, to manage the implementation of the information management mechanism. Manage and maintain DTM electronic filing system, website uploads, mailing list, KOBO / ODK and SharePoint / drive.
- Work with the Field Operations focal points and data collectors/entry teams on IM aspects to explore new applications, technologies and process management options to overcome the current challenges.
- Support the supervision of data collection processes and the overall data management activities, including encoding, storing, and transferring data, as well as the processing and supporting analysis of the collected data and information locally.
- Ensure timely preparation and generation of information and GIS products, and support information sharing and dissemination to all relevant channels, including websites, emails, etc.
- Identify gaps in data and information relevant to the programme implementation and contribute to preparing project proposals to address such needs.
- Develop and conduct training modules for relevant partners on data collection and analysis based on the DTM methodology and tools to ensure a smooth rollout. Build the data and analysis capacity of the IOM staff involved in DTM activities.
- Support the coordination, development and enhancement of integrated methodology for data collection and generation of information products, such as maps, comprehensive analysis reports, factsheets, dashboards etc., as required and needed by programmes.
- Ensure the implementation of the information management systems and applications adhere to Information Technology and Communication Policies and Standards.
- Contribute to the design and management of databases and information systems, including geodatabases and geographical information systems of the DTM programme. More, conduct data verification, triangulation, and validation through multiple sources, both primary and secondary (including media monitoring, local authorities, and a network of key informants).
- Keep abreast of all stakeholders and interagency assessments, reports and relevant material related to Internally Displaced Persons and, if requested, represent the DTM program in data-related meetings, events organized at the local level and other data initiatives.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Information Management, Computer Science, Social Sciences, or a related field from an accredited academic institution with four years of relevant professional experience in projects related to information management, data management, and statistical analysis tools
- Minimum of Six Years experience (Four Years for Degree Holders) in a related field; experience in Information Management, Computer Science, Social Sciences, or a related field from an accredited academic institution with four years of relevant professional experience in projects related to information management, data management, and statistical analysis tools, in addition to the below:
- Experience in database management, data analysis and GIS
- Experience with handling confidential data
- Experience in advanced data visualization and information design skills.
- In-depth knowledge of the latest technological developments in information technology and proven skills in analyzing statistical information.
- Advanced technical skills in Microsoft Office
- Demonstrated experience in the use of statistical analysis software such as R programming, Stata, SQL or SPSS
- Ability to formulate IM-related technical requirements and operating procedures
- Ability to compile and holistically analyse diverse datasets
- Demonstrated understanding of different data collection methodologies
- experience in reporting and liaising with government authorities advantageous, preferably within the international humanitarian field.
- Excellent communication skills, efficiency, and flexibility
- Fluency in English is required (Oral and Written).
- Working knowledge of other local languages.
- The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respect and promote individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintain high ethical standards and act consistently with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates the ability to work in a composed, competent, and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2:
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action-oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge, and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own actions and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring, and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2:
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others in realizing and developing their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: work strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
Application Closing Date
Monday, 7th November, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their applications via email to: HRNIGERIA@iom.int indicating the position applied in the subject line.
Click here to apply online
- For the applications to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications with a cover letter of not more than one page specifying the motivation for application, addressed to Human Resources, International Organization for Migration (IOM) and with a subject line SVN2022.144 Abuja Senior Information Management & GIS Assistant G6 DTM
- All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers, and detailed curriculum vitae (CV).
- The appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, confirmation of all documents, and security clearances.
- Women with the above qualifications are encouraged to apply.
- Only candidates residing in the country of the duty station and within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered.
- Please note that this position is open only to Nigerian National applicants, and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Open to External and Internal Candidates
- No Fees: IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training, or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
- IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and inclusion at IOM at www.iom.int/diversity.
- Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female candidates. For all IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.