The Management Sciences for Health (MSH), a global health nonprofit organization, uses proven approaches developed over 40 years to help leaders, health managers, and communities in developing nations build stronger health systems for greater health impact. We work to save lives by closing the gap between knowledge and action in public health.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) Specialist
Job Requisition ID: R2254
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Job type: Full time
- The objective of the Senior M&E Specialist position is to provide technical support at the country office level.
- This position will backstop all M&E activities for the program within the designated state and strengthen the facility records and data collection officers, ensuring the quality and timeliness of data collection and reporting.
- S/he will provide technical oversight and guidance to strengthen state-level M&E systems, ensuring proper orientation, mentoring, and quality supervision to state M&E staff and M&E units in the State Ministries of Health and National Malaria Elimination Program (NMEP) in accordance with the Global Fund requirements and in support of NMEP, State MEPs and the National Malaria Control Strategy.
- S/he will support the Senior M&E Manager to provide technical oversight and guidance to the state M&E specialist.
- The Senior M&E Specialist will be responsible for tracking achievements on grant performance indicators by the states and advise on solutions for continuous improvement.
- Support the Country M&E lead to spearhead the roll-out of the Global Fund Malaria M&E plan in line with Global Fund and national reporting requirements
- Conduct a quarterly review of state programmatic reports for accuracy and provide recommendations to improve performance and follow through to ensure recommendations are implemented.
- Coordinate day-to-day technical preparations, implementation, and evaluation of research activities in MSH GF prime states
- Provide technical support and the appropriate lead-in evaluation research (including sampling strategies, analysis, and presentation of data) to the local research groups working on the project
- Support, and as appropriate lead, the documentation of operational research and lessons learned from the project including production of manuscripts for publication in peer-reviewed journals, learning briefs, learning papers, and general documentation ( narrative reports, infographics).
- Support the dissemination of lessons learned to national and global audiences through conference presentations, peer-reviewed publications, and technical reports.
- Ensure that the program implementation complies with MSH M&E Policies and Procedures and strategic initiatives.
- Support Senior M&E Manager to ensure preparation of Progress Update (PU) in collaboration with other program staff for submission to CRS timely.
- Coordinate the quarterly data quality audits (DQAs) to ensure the integrity of project data, using the DHIS data and other relevant tools.
- Conduct regular field monitoring and supervisory visits with program teams, states, and government partners, in line with approved work plans.
- Provide technical input in the development of an integrated State GF Malaria project plan in collaboration with the country M&E lead and State M&E specialist
- Support in the implementation of GF Malaria state M&E plan and reporting formats for GF indicators and targets in collaboration with the State Team, Country technical lead, and team
- Support project M&E team to build the capacity such as training, workshops, and other visits for learning for MSH, LGA, and State M&E officers at SMoH, HMB, SMEP, health units’ M&E staff, and relevant health in the collection, summarization, analysis, and presentation of M&E data.
- Perform electronic data collection, GIS Map analysis
- Ensure that the quality of program/project monitoring and enhanced evaluation in the sites is of international standard and quality by supporting the development and implementation of appropriate mechanisms to ensure quality.
- Assist the Senior Technical manager M&E to coordinate the establishment/strengthening of one state M&E system that informs policy and practice.
- Conduct regular (monthly, quarterly, and annually) data review and analysis for feedback to states for program improvement, and for updates to the national level
- Support program staff in key activities including development of a learning agenda, organizing regular learning events, supporting operations research, and reflecting on documentation, and communication of learning initiatives, in line with approved work plans.
- Support knowledge management systems and practices to gather, document, and share best practices with states, government, and technical partners.
- Collaborate with M&E and program staff to develop learning briefs, project bulletins, and other materials for dissemination.
- Perform any other task to be assigned by your supervisor
- Bachelor’s Degree in Statistics, Epidemiology, or related field with a focus on monitoring and evaluation and / or Biostatistics
- A minimum of 4 years experience in M&E within the development sector with at least 2 years experience in a supervisory role.
- Good qualitative and quantitative data analysis skills
- Very good analytical, presentation, communication, and reporting skills.
- Demonstrated experience in survey design, implementation, analysis, and report-writing
- Demonstrated experience of working in a team of experts delivering specialized TA services
- Demonstrable skills in qualitative research methods and data analysis software such as Nvivo;
- Excellent statistical analysis skills including familiarity with software such as STATA, R, or Statgraphics;
- Strong experience with DHIS
- Experience in GIS map analysis (ARC GIS, QGIS, Health Mapper)
- A good demonstrable experience in various scientific studies/operations research, surveys data analysis, and management
- Experience in Programming Languages such as Python, C++, PHP, .Net, and other languages, would be an added advantage
- Strong leadership capability and excellent interpersonal skills.
- Minimum of 3 years experience working in Malaria programs in Nigeria
- Familiarity with Global Fund reporting systems is highly desirable,
- Good analytical, presentation, and reporting skills
- Excellent inter-personal, multi-cultural, and team-building skills
- Strong computer skills particularly in spreadsheets, databases, and statistical applications
- Strong problem-solving skills and ability to foresee problems and initiate appropriate action
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and fluency in English
- Excellent organizational skills
- Supervision: Works independently and reports to the Senior Technical Manager, M&E
- Decision Making: Working within project strategy and policy guidelines, makes decisions with regards to work responsibilities and is accountable for them
- Responsibility over data or information: Has access to the information within the project, and is responsible for program data generation and management Responsibility over assets: Overall responsibility for assigned assets in the program.
- Ability to work independently.
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- MSH is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender or gender identity, religion, creed, citizenship, national origin, age, veteran status, or disability unrelated to job requirements.
- MSH will take affirmative action to ensure that qualified applicants are employed and that employees are treated without regard to their race, age, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran and disability status.
- In compliance with U.S. Department of Labor Executive Order 11246, Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act, and Section 4212 of the Vietnam Era Readjustment Assistance Act, MSH has developed and maintains an affirmative action program and plan.