The International Organization for Migration (IOM) – Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Programme Assistant
SVN No. : SVN2022.146
IOM Classification: G6
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Organizational Unit: Displacement Tracking Matrix (DTM)
Type of Appointment: Special Short-Term (SST) 6 months with the possibility of extension
- Under the overall and direct supervision of the DTM Coordinator and in close coordination with Project Officer, the successful candidate will be accountable and responsible for the implementation, oversight, and coordination of the Displacement Tracking Matrix (DTM) programme and administrative support activities.
- S/he will coordinate, in close collaboration with the project officer (operations), IMs, Database, field staff, and partners, on the data collection process and analysis in the region (s) s/he has been assigned to
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Provide overall programme and administrative support to the DTM activities and the field offices, including liaison support with the relevant governmental, non-governmental (NGOs), international organizations, and other relevant stakeholders.
- Assist with in-house coordination with finance, procurement, OSS, and other relevant support units at IOM Nigeria to ensure optimum programme and procurement/logistics support for all DTM activities. Coordinate with the DTM coordinator and draft relevant correspondences to partners and other agencies as requested.
- Ensure proper documentation and filling of the project administrative and financial documents and data collection forms, support the preparation of purchase requests, payrolls, and payment requests and ensure confidentiality of the files and operations.
- Ensure proper budget monitoring, review of detailed expenditure reports, and maintain a monthly budget projection to check expenditures, consumptions analysis and staff salary projectization, including other operational support related to WBS management, contracts, and budget lines for the DTM hourly and/or third-party staff.
- Support in identifying and documenting good practices and lessons learned and contribute to developing Standard Operations Procedures (SOP), policies and concept papers. Support in developing concept notes, input on proposals for new projects, and upscaling the ongoing project based on lessons learnt.
- Liaise with other project leads within the unit. Provide additional support to ensure that field activities are implemented according to the approved implementation plan and accepted DTM methodologies.
- Assist in follow-ups, coordination, planning, and implementation of field missions, training, meetings, presentations, conferences and tasks related to DTM project activities and duty travel when necessary. Manage the overall travel requests, bookings, etc.
- Review all payroll payment requests for the DTM before being approved or finalized by finance and HR units.
- Support in facilitating training to partners and field staff on the DTM methodology and reporting tool. Draft training notes for files (NFF), meeting minutes, reports, etc.
- Maintain an inventory database and assist in monitoring and maintaining a tracking system for all assets and non-assets items, procurement, and logistics requests, including participation in procurement meetings, etc.
- Provide coordination support for work activities, meet deadlines, and monitor and evaluate field activities where needed.
- Support visibility and communication activities related to the DTM projects.
- Perform any other duties that might be assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Business Management, Information Technology, Information Management or Computer Science with four years of relevant professional experience.
- Minimum Six Years’ experience (Four Years for Degree Holders) in a related field; experience in Business Administration, Business Management, Information Technology, Information Management or Computer Science; preferably within the international humanitarian field
- Fluency in English (oral and written) is required, and working knowledge of the local language.
- Experience with handling confidential data
- Advanced technical skills in Microsoft Office
- Experience in reporting and liaising with government authorities advantageous, preferably within the international humanitarian field.
- Excellent communication skills, efficiency, and flexibility
Behavioural The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: Respect and promote individual and cultural differences; encourage diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintain high ethical standards and act in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates the ability to work in a composed, competent, and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level:
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action-oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge, and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own actions and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring, and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2:
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others in realizingin realizing and developing their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: work strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
- Only candidates residing in the country of the duty station and within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered.
- The appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, confirmation of all documents, and security clearances. Women with the above qualifications are encouraged to apply
Application Closing Date
Monday, 7th November, 2022.
How to apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their applications via email to: HRNIGERIA@iom.int using “SVN2022.146. Abuja Senior Programme Assistant G6 DTM” as the subject of the mail
Click here to apply online
- In order for the applications to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications with a cover letter of not more than one page specifying the motivation for application, addressed to Human Resources, International Organization for Migration (IOM) and with a subject line SVN2022.146. Abuja. Senior Programme Assistant G6 DTM
- All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers, and detailed curriculum vitae (CV). Please note that this position is open only to Nigerian National applicants, and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.