The International Organization for Migration (IOM) – Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Programme Assistant (Reconciliation, Reintegration awareness & PVE)
SVN No.: SVN2022.104
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Organizational Unit: Demobilization, Disassociation, Reintegration and Reconciliation (DDRR)
IOM Classification: G7
Type of Appointment: Special Short-Term (SST) 6 months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
- Working under the overall supervision of the disengagement, disassociation, reintegration, and reconciliation (DDRR) Programme Coordinator– Abuja, under the direct supervision of the RR Programme Manager/ S2R Senior Project Coordinator Maiduguri, and in coordination with the ICRS Programme Officer, the successful candidate will be responsible for the coordination and implementation of the reconciliation, reintegration awareness and preventing violent extremism (PVE) component of the DDRR Programme.
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- In coordination with the S2R Senior Project Coordinator-Maiduguri and DDRR Project Manager- Abuja, actively contribute to the implementation and monitoring of overall DDRR programme activities with a focus on reconciliation, reintegration awareness and PVE in North-East Nigeria.
- In close coordination with the S2R Project Coordinator Maiduguri and ICRS Programme Officer Maiduguri, facilitate the implementation of reconciliation, reintegration awareness, and PVE capacity building activities of the project.
- Maintain regular liaison, good relations and coordination with senior level local government counterparts on issues pertaining to outreach, reintegration awareness and reconciliation, including participation in relevant fora.
- Supervise and guide the national staff involved in the implementation of reconciliation, reintegration awareness and PVE programming.
- Establish and maintain sound working relations, ensuring information exchange on all operational aspects of the DDRR programme’s reconciliation, reintegration awareness and PVE components. Participate in recruitment processes and training of local staff, as required. Conduct regular performance appraisals of project staff.
- In coordination with the S2R Senior Project Coordinator and ICRS Programme Officer, develop and implement the mapping and profiling of selected communities, local government, and institutional resources, capacities, and mechanisms as well as systematic gaps and perceptions of reintegration and reconciliation processes at the community level.
- Support the development and launch of contextualized community reconciliation platform and social impact projects using approved criteria.
- In coordination with S2R Senior Project Coordinator Maiduguri and RR Project Manager Abuja, follow up on and monitor the implementation of reconciliation, reintegration and PVE sub-grants by implementing partners, ensuring that IOM standards and operational modalities are met.
- In coordination with ICRS Programme Officer and S2R Senior Project Coordinator Maiduguri, plan and implement awareness and advocacy activities for reintegration, reconciliation, PVE and conflict mediation, including dialogues with selected communities, relevant local and state level counterparts as well as implementing partners.
- Carry out capacity building and awareness raising workshops designed to enable selected community leaders to support inclusive reintegration and reconciliation processes.
- Support prioritized affected communities in broad based community engagement and social mobilization toward conflict prevention, restorative transitional justice mechanisms and reconciliation activities.
- In coordination with the S2R Senior Project Coordinator Maiduguri and MHPSS team, plan and follow-up the implementation of collective psychological counselling sessions as well as cultural activities with the selected communities, to enhance social wellbeing and reconciliation.
- Participate in the development of sound monitoring, evaluation, and quality control procedures for the respective reconciliation, PVE and reintegration awareness programme components.
- Undertake duty travel relating to project activities, monitoring and assessments, liaisons with counterparts and problem solving.
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned
Required Qualifications and Experience
- University Degree from an accredited institution in International Relations, Social Science, Law, Development and Humanitarian Affairs or related field.
- Master’s Degree in above mentioned area is an advantage.
- Minimum of 5 years’ Humanitarian Experience in Income-Generating Projects, Business Development, Community Economic Development, Conflict Resolution, Community Participation, and/or Psychosocial Projects.
- Experience in related field, preferably Project Management, preferably in development issues, prevention of violence/PCVE, reconciliation, reintegration, conflict mediation and capacity building or related experience.
- Works effectively with local authorities, stakeholders, beneficiaries, and the broader community to advance country office or regional objectives.
- Effectively applies knowledge of DDRR issues within organizational context.
- Delivers on set objectives in strict deadlines.
- Has knowledge of administrative and procedural aspects of reintegration and reconciliation.
- Understands procurement principles, processes and standards
- Required: Fluent in English (oral and written)
- Desirable: Fluency in multiple native language
- Good regional knowledge of North-East Nigeria
- Good knowledge of project development, administration and evaluation concepts and procedures
- Experience in or knowledge of restorative/transitional justice mechanisms and peacebuilding processes in North-East is an asset
- Proven ability to establish and maintain strong working relations with relevant Government counterparts, international organizations, and private sector entities
- Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office applications especially Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Publisher and Sharepoint
- Previous work experience in international organizations (preferably within the united Nations or the international humanitarian field) and companies is an advantage
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintain high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent, and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge, and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring, and motivational way.
Application Closing Date
1st September, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Applications to: HRNIGERIA@iom.int indicating “SVN2022.104. Maiduguri. Senior Programme Assistant (Reconciliation, Reintegration awareness & PVE) G7” in the subject line.
Click here to apply online
Important Information and Notice
- Only candidates residing in the country of the duty station and within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, confirmation of all documents, and security clearances.
- Women with the above qualifications are encouraged to apply.
- For the applications to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications with a cover letter not more than one page specifying the motivation for application, addressed to Human Resources, International Organization for Migration (IOM) and with a subject line SVN2022.104. Maiduguri. Senior Programme Assistant (Reconciliation, Reintegration awareness & PVE) G7.
- All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers, and detailed curriculum vitae (CV).
- Please note that this position is open only to Nigerian National applicants and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- No Fees: IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training, or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.