The African Union (AU) is a continental body consisting of the 55 member states that make up the countries of the African Continent. It was officially launched in 2002 as a successor to the Organization of African Unity (OAU, 1963-1999). We are an Integrated, Prosperous and Peaceful Africa, driven by its own citizens and representing a dynamic force in the global arena.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Specialist – Dentist
Requisition ID: 1546
Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Reports to: Head of Division, Clinical Services
Directorate/Department : Medical and Health Services
Division: Clinical Services
Number of Direct Reports: 1
Number of Indirect Reports: 1
Job Grade: P4
Contract Type: Regular
Purpose of Job
- To provide technical comprehensive Oral and Dental Health services for MHSD clients to achieve the objectives of AU.
- Provides technical and intellectual support in the management of various partnerships relevant for the Division and Directorate;
- Identifies best practices and monitors effectiveness of the division/directorate’s support to AU;
- Contributes to the development of the departmental strategies and business continuity plan and participate in/ensure their implementation
- Fosters and ensures implementation of large-scale and long-term initiatives related to strategic partnerships;
- Supports the organization of thematic networks, consultations and meetings on development cooperation and international relations;
- Develops training materials and provides necessary training and support to Organization Units;
- Provides technical resource allocation and policy guidance on matters relating to system -Implementation projects and maintenance.
- Examines, diagnoses, and treats disease, abnormalities, injuries and dysfunctional disorders of the oral cavity and its associated structures, including problems of greater than normal difficulty.
- Examines patients and interprets radiographs and diagnostic tests to determine type and extent of dental diseases and disabilities or dysfunctions.
- Follows dental service policies on management of specific oral diseases and defects and emergency procedures.
- Manages oral pathologies and treat oral manifestations of systemic diseases.
- Diagnoses and performs preventive and curative procedures including root canal therapy on anterior and posterior teeth for both children and adults.
- Develops proposals for the improvement of services and upgrading of the UNIT.
- Participates in the development and delivery of health promotion, disease prevention and occupational Health and Safety programs of the Directorate (including HIV and AIDS in the workplace).
- Gives the required attention and care to the equipment and regularly check their functions and strive to bring in new technologies to the Dental Unit.
- Quantifies and forecasts requirements of medical supplies and equipment for procurement and submit on time to the supervisor.
- Participates in the AU Medical Board in determining the necessity for medical evacuations.
- Participates in the activities of the Division including preparing SOPs, patient information and education leaflets, and fact sheets.
- Compiles information, such as technical terms used in legal settings, into glossaries and terminology databases to be used in translations.
- Performs any other duties assigned by the immediate supervisor.
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
- Doctor of Dental Surgery Degree (DDS) with Master’s Degree and clinical specialization in one of the dental fields (Orthodontist, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon, Prosthodontist) or Fellowship of the Regional College of Dental Surgeons, with eight (8) years relevant experience which should be 6 years at managerial level and 3 years at supervisory level
- Must have clinical practice in a tertiary level government hospital, private practice or International Organization (as a Dentist), including at least five (5) years as a specialist in Clinical Dentistry.
- Must currently be working in a clinical role.
- Must be licensed to practice medicine as a Dental Specialist in his/her home country or country of residence, as at the time of application.
- Experience as head of a clinical unit, section, service or department will be an advantage
- Leadership and Management Skills
- Knowledge and working understanding of international and regional guidelines for managing medical conditions.
- Interpersonal and negotiation skills
- Planning and organizational skills
- Clinical and surgical skills.
- Research and analytical skills
- Ability to work in teams and in a multicultural environment
- Knowledge and working understanding of Microsoft office suite, stock management software packages and Hospital Information Systems
- Knowledge and working understanding of AU policies, processes and standards
- Report writing, communication and presentation skills
- Proficiency in one of the AU working languages, fluency in another is an added advantage
- Strategic Insight
- Developing others
- Change Management
- Managing Risk
- Building Relationship
- Accountable and Complies with Rules
- Learning Orientation
- Conceptual thinking
Job Knowledge Sharing:
- Drive for Results
- Continuous Improvement Orientation:
Tenure Of Appointment
- The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
- The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Indicative basic salary of US$ 42,879.00 (P4 Step1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment ( 46% of basic salary), Housing allowance US$ 26,208.00 (per annum), and education allowance (100% of tuition and other education-related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00 per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally recruited staff.
Application Closing Date
14th December, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Only candidates who have met all the requirements of the post and have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
- Only applications registered online with a complete curriculum vitae (CV) attached will be considered.
- The Africa Union is an equal opportunity employer and female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.