The African Union (AU) is a continental body consisting of the 55 member states that make up the countries of the African Continent. It was officially launched in 2002 as a successor to the Organization of African Unity (OAU, 1963-1999). We are an Integrated, Prosperous and Peaceful Africa, driven by its own citizens and representing a dynamic force in the global arena.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Specialist – Family Medicine
Requisition ID: 1521
Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Reports to: Head of Division, Clinical Services
Directorate/Department : Medical and Health Services
Division: Clinical Services
Number of Direct Reports: 1
Number of Indirect Reports: 1
Job Grade: P4
Contract Type: Regular
Purpose of Job
- To provide comprehensive medical services for MHSD clients and members of their family, regardless of age or sex.
- Provides technical and intellectual support in the management of various partnerships relevant for the division and directorate;
- Identifies best practices and monitor effectiveness of the division/directorate’s support to AU;
- Contributes to the development of the departmental strategies and business continuity plan and participates in/ensures their implementation
- Fosters and ensures implementation of large-scale and long-term initiatives related to strategic partnerships;
- Supports the organization of thematic networks, consultations and meetings on development cooperation and international relations;
- Develops training materials and provide necessary training and support to Organization Units;
- Provides technical resource allocation and policy guidance on matters relating to system -Implementation of projects and maintenance.
- Provides daily routine general medical consultations, diagnosis and treatment to MHSD Clients (inpatient and outpatient) in all age groups and all sexes.
- Provides emergency care for the Clients in the above category and perform common surgical procedures in our Operating Theatre.
- Performs ward rounds regularly on all admitted patients and provide input into their management.
- Performs bedside procedures like abdominal ultrasonography, liver aspiration/biopsy, thoraco and abdomino centesis, lumbar puncture etc, where necessary.
- Defines planning for a 24-hour Medical coverage roster on a shift basis for day time, night time, weekend and public holidays.
- Participates in the management of the AU Clinic during the day and supervise shift duty staff at night, weekends and public holidays.
- Maintains an up-to-date registry of specialists in other hospitals or clinics who can help resolve the patient’s specific complaint and conditions, arrange their transfer to such specialists, follow up on their management and report back to the Head of Division, Clinical Services.
- Evaluates service provision for clients and make recommendations for improvement where necessary.
- Participates in the AU Medical Board in determining the necessity for medical evacuations, prepares the clinical information and present same to the Medical Board for clearance.
- Manages the process for evacuation, monitors the progress of the evacuees and facilitates their return.
- Participates in continuing medical education programs for Medical Staff, training and mentoring of clinical attachés and Interns.
- Participates in the development and delivery of health promotion, disease prevention and occupational Health and Safety programs of the Directorate (including HIV and AIDS in the workplace).
- Quantifies and forecasts requirements of medical supplies and equipment for procurement and submit on time to the supervisor.
- Participates in the AU Medical Board in determining the necessity for medical evacuations.
- Participates and provides expertise in the medical coverage for AU Summits, AU Field Missions and outreach to AU Regional Offices.
- Keeps abreast with developments/ innovations in emergency and Family Medicine and share such information periodically with Medical staff.
- Participates in the activities of the Division including preparing SOPs, patient information and education leaflets, and fact sheets.
- Provides high quality, patient centered general and specialized family Medicine Services to MHSD clients including consultations, routine and emergency care, travel medicine services, immunizations, health education, STD screenings, Vision/hearing, women’s health, family planning, prenatal services, nutrition etc.
- Participates in the development and delivery of health promotion, disease prevention and occupational Health and Safety programs for the Directorate.
- Performs any other duties that may be assigned by the immediate supervisor.
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
- Master’s Degree, BMBCh or MBBS Degree with 10 years post qualification relevant work experience as a tertiary level, busy government or private practice or International Organization is essential which 6 years at expert/specialist level and 3 at supervisor level
- Must currently be working in a clinical role and performing routine and complex Family Medicine procedures and surgeries.
- Membership/ MMED of a professional Regional College of Physicians with eight (8) years work experience in a senior clinical role, including at least five (5) years as a specialist/ consultant in Family Medicine.
- Fellowship of a professional Regional College of Physicians with five (5) years’ work experience in a clinical role in Family Medicine.
- Must be licensed to practice medicine as Family Medicine Specialist in his/her home country or country of residence, as at the time of application.
- Experience as head of a clinical unit, section, service or department will be an advantage.
- Clinical specialization in Family Medicine:
- Additional qualification in any of the sub specialties in General or Family Medicine will be an advantage.
- Clinical and surgical skills.
- Ability to pay attention to details, meet deadlines and achieve results.
- Knowledge in international and regional guidelines for managing emergency, general medical and surgical conditions.
- Planning, organizational and time management skills.
- Computer literacy skills: familiar with hospital Information Systems and able to use various continuous medical education tools including internet based ones like telemedicine.
- Ability to communicate scientific information as evidenced by scientific / other publications.
- Familiar with conducting clinical audits.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality at all times.
- Interpersonal skills: ability to organize and motivate team members, and work in a multicultural, multi ethnic environment.
- Must be able to work effectively under pressure
- Strategic Insight
- Developing others
- Change Management
- Managing Risk.
- Building Relationship
- Accountable and Complies with Rules
- Learning Orientation
- Communicating with Influence.
- Conceptual thinking…
- Job Knowledge Sharing…
- Drive for Results…
- Continuous improvement orientation…
- Proficiency in one of the AU working languages (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese, and Spanish) and fluency in another AU language is an added advantage
Tenure Of Appointment
- The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
- The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Indicative basic salary of US$ 42,879.00 (P4 Step1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment ( 46% of basic salary), Housing allowance US$ 26,208.00 (per annum), and education allowance (100% of tuition and other education-related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00 per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally recruited staff.
Application Closing Date
14th December, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Only candidates who have met all the requirements of the post and have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
- Only applications registered online with a complete curriculum vitae (CV) attached will be considered.
- The Africa Union is an equal opportunity employer and female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.