The African Union (AU) is a continental body consisting of the 55 member states that make up the countries of the African Continent. It was officially launched in 2002 as a successor to the Organization of African Unity (OAU, 1963-1999). We are an Integrated, Prosperous and Peaceful Africa, driven by its own citizens and representing a dynamic force in the global arena.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Specialist – Pediatrician
Requisition ID: 1547
Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Reports to: Head of Division, Clinical Services
Directorate/Department : Medical and Health Services
Division : Clinical Services
Number of Direct Reports: 1
Number of Indirect Reports: 1
Job Grade: P4
Contract Type: Regular
Purpose of Job
- To provide technical medical consultations, diagnosis and treatment for MHSD infants, toddlers, children, and adolescents to achieve AU goals and objectives
- Provides technical and intellectual support in the management of various partnerships relevant for the division and directorate;
- Identifies best practices and monitors effectiveness of the Division/Directorate’s support to AU;
- Contributes to the development of the departmental strategies and business continuity plan and participates in/ensure their implementation
- Involved in negotiations;
- Fosters and ensures implementation of large-scale and long-term initiatives related to strategic partnerships;
- Supports the organization of thematic networks, consultations and meetings on development cooperation and international relations;
- Develops training materials and provide necessary training and support to Organization Units;
- Provides technical resource allocation and policy guidance on matters relating to system -Implementation projects and maintenance.
- Provides routine and emergency consultation, investigations and treatment for MHSD infants, toddlers, children and adolescents.
- Refers clients, when necessary to appropriate medical specialists locally or abroad and follows up on their management.
- Performs preventive and curative interventions in Internal Medicine, including immunizations, screening for communicable and non-communicable diseases.
- Conducts a series of tests and checks to assess patient health, ranging from ear, nose, and throat examinations to reflex, pulmonary, and respiratory tests.
- Monitors vaccination program throughout their different developmental stages in close collaboration with parents.
- Prepares SOPs for the management of priority medical conditions and procedures; and ensures that these are followed.
- Performs ward rounds regularly on all admitted patients and provide high level input into their management.
- Contributes to training programs and workshops for continuous medical education at the Medical and Health Services Directorate; including mentoring, regular training and support for clinical attachés.
- Participates in the MHSD on call duty and 24 hour MHSD coverage roster.
- Undertakes evaluation of services for clients and make recommendations for improvement where necessary.
- Participates in the development and delivery of health promotion and disease prevention.
- Trains, teaches and supervises junior staff during their orientations to familiarize with medical delivery systems in primary health care settings at the AUC-MHSD.
- Quantifies and forecasts requirements of supplies and equipment for procurement and submit on time to the supervisor.
- Participates in the AU Medical Board in determining the necessity for medical evacuations, prepare the clinical information and present same to the Medical Board for clearance.
- Provides support for the management of the evacuation process, monitor the progress of the evacuees and facilitate their return.
- Examines, diagnoses and treats disease, abnormalities, injuries and dysfunctional disorders in children.
- Monitors vaccination program in all developmental stages in close collaboration with parents.
- Performs any other relevant duties assigned by the immediate Supervisor.
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
- MD, BMBCh or MBBS Degree, with ten (10) years’ post qualification experience with clinical specialization in pediatrics internal medicine (Fellowship of the Regional College of Physicians or equivalent) which 6 years should be Expert/specialist level and 3 years at supervisory level.
- Must currently be working in a clinical role.
- At least eight (08) years of clinical practice in a tertiary level government hospital, private practice or International Organization (as a Medical Doctor), including at least five (5) years as a pediatrician.
- Must be licensed to practice medicine as a pediatrician in his/her home country or country of residence, as at the time of application.
- Experience as head of a clinical unit, section, service or department will be an advantage.
- Additional qualification in any of the sub specialties in Internal Medicine will be an added advantage.
- Leadership and Management Skills
- Knowledge and working understanding of international and regional guidelines for managing medical conditions.
- Interpersonal and negotiation skills
- Planning and organizational skills
- Must have excellent and up dated clinical skills.
- Research and analytical skills
- Ability to work in teams and in a multicultural environment
- Knowledge and working understanding of Microsoft office suite and Hospital Information Systems
- Knowledge and working understanding of AU policies, processes and standards
- Report writing, communication and presentation skills
- Proficiency in one of the AU official working languages (French, English, Portuguese, Arabic) and fluency in another AU language(s) is an added advantage
- Strategic Insight
- Developing Others
- Change Management
- Managing Risk.
- Building Relationships.
- Accountable and Complies with Rules..
- Learning Orientation;
- Communicating with Influence.
- Conceptual thinking.
Job Knowledge Sharing:
- Drive for Results
- Continuous Improvement Orientation.
Tenure Of Appointment
- The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
- The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Indicative basic salary of US$ 42,879.00 (P4 Step1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment ( 46% of basic salary), Housing allowance US$ 26,208.00 (per annum), and education allowance (100% of tuition and other education-related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00 per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally recruited staff.
Application Closing Date
14th December, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Only candidates who have met all the requirements of the post and have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
- Only applications registered online with a complete curriculum vitae (CV) attached will be considered.
- The Africa Union is an equal opportunity employer and female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.