Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian non-profit organisation that advances children’s rights and equality for girls. We support children’s rights from birth until they reach adulthood, and enable children to prepare for – and respond to – crises and adversity. We believe in the power and potential of every child, but know this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Stabilization Center (SC) Officer
Location: Mafa, Borno
- The position holder will be responsible for the implementation of the Stabilization Centre component of the community-based management of acute malnutrition (CMAM) in Mafa LGA, Borno State.
- He/she will work closely with the SC Coordinator, government staff, and other SC staff for effective implementation of the CMAM program
- In addition, he/she will be responsible for the provision of high-quality technical support to the CMAM program.
Dimensions of the Role
- The incumbent will be responsible for the management of children under 5 with complicated severe acute malnutrition in the established stabilization centre in Mafa LGA.
- He/she will be responsible for the diagnosis, treatment, discharge, and follow-up of children admitted with complicated severe acute malnutrition based on the National and WHO guidelines.
- He/she will work closely with the SC Coordinator and other stabilization centre staff to provide optimal care to children admitted with complicated severe acute malnutrition.
- Examine patients/clients in line with standard medical procedures using various types of diagnostic mechanisms.
- Administer and prescribe drugs based on analysis of examination, test reports, findings, and National and WHO SAM inpatient management protocol.
- Manage the project unit’s implementation of the nutrition program in agreement with the overall CMAM Program activities.
- Ensure that the stabilization centre/ therapeutic feeding unit is implemented according to the National protocol and WHO guidelines.
- Ensure the availability of job aids, reporting formats, therapeutic products (f75, F100, and RUTF), and drugs for program implementation in SC
- Plan and organize SC at designated SC sites in liaison with SMoH staff and other nutrition staff.
- Work closely with the SC Coordinator, government staff, and other SC staff to ensure that all aspects of the program are understood and agreed upon and appropriate referrals take place to and from the community to OTP and SC sites.
- Work closely with other partners implementing OTP for proper referral and monitoring of beneficiaries at OTP level.
- Ensure the multi-chart/inpatient card is properly filled and monitored and corrective action is taken on a daily basis.
- Ensure that health professionals from the health facilities participate in the daily routine work for sustainability and a smooth phase-out strategy.
- Work closely with the teams to ensure all children are screened correctly.
- Ensure all criteria are respected and understood by the teams, including admission, discharge, and transfer to and from the OTP/SC.
- Ensure comprehensive health checks and correct clinical diagnosis at the time of assessment according to the CMAM protocols so that the patient receives appropriate treatment in the relevant program.
- Ensure all children in SC are immunized according to the national protocols.
- Ensure timely identification of complications, non-responders, and referrals to further investigation and management.
- Ensure correctness, consistence, and completeness of the information in the nutrition registers.
- Ensure adequate availability of all medical and food supplies and ensure stock is pre-positioned as planned by discussing with logistics.
- Provide key Nutrition and Health education messages to beneficiaries based on the protocol and guidelines.
- Respond to inquiries regarding the technical aspects of the program admission and discharge whenever necessary at the SC sites.
- Follow-up and ensure the field team interacts with the beneficiaries properly
- Provide a daily/weekly and Monthly CMAM report to the SC Coordinator/Nutrition coordinator.
- Upholds the image and values of Plan International Nigeria at all times.
- Performs other related tasks as required.
Technical Expertise, Skills and Knowledge
- Minimum of B.Sc Degree in Nursing/Diploma in Nursing/RN with experience in emergency nutrition response especially complicated SAM management in the Stabilization centre and clinical experience in Under five children illness diagnosis and treatment in the hospital.
- Over two (2) years of experience in complicated SAM case management in the SC and CMAM programs.
- Valid and current practicing license.
- Excellent report-writing skills is an additive
- Fluent in written and spoken English and Hausa
- Commitment to and understanding of PLAN’S aims, values, and principles.
- Applicants from Borno State are encouraged to apply.
- Strong communication skills: oral, written, and presentation skills.
- Should be a team player and culturally sensitive.
- Demonstrated proficiency in computer applications such as word processing, spreadsheets, email, and utilization of the internet.
- Strong leadership, team building, conflict resolution, and ability to deliver PLAN’s strategic objectives.
- Extremely flexible, and have the ability to cope with stressful situations
- Facilitate the development and scheduling of volunteer outreach activities
- Excellent community mobilization skills
- Work closely with partners and their staff to ensure project activities are implemented in time and within the stipulated quality.
Application Closing Date
31st August, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Plan International Nigeria is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, gender or disabilities.
- Plan International Nigeria is fully committed to child protection to prevent children from all forms of abuse.
- Women are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.