Malaria Consortium is one of the world’s leading non-profit organisations specialising in the comprehensive prevention, control and treatment of malaria and other communicable diseases among vulnerable and under privileged populations. We increasingly find our work on malaria can be effectively integrated with other similar public health interventions for greater impact and therefore expanded our remit to include child health and neglected tropical disease interventions.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: State Consultant – Malariologist Senior (National STTA)
Locations: Abuja, Borno and Lagos
Activity Timelines: February – March 2022
Total TA Days: 8 TA Days / State
Slots: 3 Openings (1 per State)
- We require qualified personnel with expertise in Malaria programming who will facilitate a landscape and context analysis of the malaria control situation in Borno, Lagos and the FCT.
- The landscape and context analysis will involve collaboration with key stakeholders at the national (NMEP, FMOH -Child Health Dept) and sub-national levels (Borno, Lagos and FCT) especially the SMOH, SPHCBs, SMEPs, LGAs and MFPs including community-based service providers.
The key domains of the analyses will include :
- Community accountability structures
- Malaria control and child health situation analysis
- SMEP and LGA institutional capacity assessment
- Partners and private sector stakeholders landscaping
- Health systems assessment (especially PSM and HMIS relevant to malaria programming) in both public and private sectors.
Objectives of the analysis are to:
- Assess the state’s community level structure for malaria accountability and expansion of access to quality services
- Describe the current malaria situation and programme implementation status in the states (malaria epidemiology, intervention coverage, barriers and facilitators of intervention coverage, and treatment seeking behaviour).
- Conduct a rapid assessment of the capacity of key personnel at the state and LGA (programme officers) to plan and implement malaria control activities effectively and selected health facility workers on integrated case management of fever.
- Conduct a landscape analysis of partners and private sector organizations working on malaria in the state.
- Assess the key health systems components especially procurement supply chain management and health management information systems relevant to malaria programming both in the public and private sector.
Specific Tasks / Deliverables
- Draft protocol and tool for landscape and context analysis
- Organize stakeholder engagement meetings and interviews
- Conduct desk reviews – published and unpublished literature review, review of reports, policies, plans etc
- Mapping of stakeholders and potential malaria partners in the states
- Conduct field work – including key informant interviews and health worker interviews
- Map commodity procurement and distribution channels and document gaps
- Conduct S.W.O.T analysis of LMIS and HMIS
- Assess SMEP/LGA institutional capacity
- Synthesize findings from desk review and empirical data collection
- Write report.
Qualifications and Experience
- Degree in Nursing, Medicine or Pharmacy
- A Post-graduate Degree in Public Health, Statistics, Epidemiology or similar.
- At least ten (10) years’ post-qualification experience
- At least ten years’ experience in malaria control and elimination programming, including vector control, case management and other supporting interventions
- Experience in the design and implementation of maternal and child health programmes
- Experience with designing and implementing community health programmes including integrated community case management of childhood illnesses
- Familiarity with the health system in Nigeria
- Experience working closely with senior government officials
- Experience on quality assurance systems for malaria control interventions.
Application Closing Date
28th February, 2022 by 11:59 AM.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Applicants who do not follow this specification will be disqualified.
- Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, therefore early applications are highly encouraged.
- Malaria Consortium does not accept or ask for payment during recruitment. We also would not accept hardcopy CVs; all applications should be sent through the link above.