FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research and technology – creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today’s interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 70 countries and all U.S. states and territories.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Technical Officer, OVC / Care and Support
- Requisition: 2020200508
- Location: Lagos
- Job Type: Full Time
- Supervisor: Senior Technical Officer, OVC/Care and Support
- Under the direction of the Senior Technical Officer, the Technical Officer- OVC/Care and Support will coordinate and provide technical assistance for Orphans and Vulnerable Children (OVC) including care and support activities as part of the program for FHI 360 Nigeria.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Work with Senior Technical Officer to provide technical assistance in the design, implementation, and evaluation of national -level OVC and care and support activities for FHI 360 Nigeria, which involves both community-based interventions, linked to facility based services
- Development of interventions, including (1) measures focused on health care, Nutrition and food security, education and skills development; (2) environmental interventions focused on pshychosocial/spriritusl support and shelter; (3) Provides contextual interventions focused on household economic strengthening, legislative support and child protection; (4) Provide interventions focused on Care and support services, including Home Based-Care for PLWHA
- Provides technical support to build the capacity of implementing agencies and state counterparts to 1) carry out care and support programs specifically related to orphans and vulnerable children and adults and 2) create effective linkages with clinical care services
- Works with NGOs and relevant FHI 360 staff to facilitate the transfer of appropriate skills to people living with HIV/AIDS (PLWH/A) and their families for prevention, support and care.
- Assists in the application of program evaluation results to modify existing programs and design new programs.
- Work with the Senior Technical Officer to develop Orphans and Vulnerable Children sub-agreements with Implementing Agencies (IAs).
- Contributes to FHI 360’s overall care and support technical strategy, especially within the new PEPFAR guidelines.
- Provide technical assistance to work with community-based NGOs to facilitate the formation of community-based peer support structures for networking among children orphaned by HIV/AIDS and their care givers.
- Remains informed on current issues and best practices and contributes to FHI 360 global lessons learned documentation of HIV/AIDS and OVC activities.
- Represents FHI 360/Nigeria to donors and government officials on OVC and care and support issues as assigned
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of health programs in developing countries.
- Knowledge of legal issues affecting orphans, Care and Support, donor community and familiarity of both OVC and Care and Support programs Nigeria.
- Sensitivity to cultural differences and understanding of the political and ethical issues surrounding OVC, Care and Support including HIV infections.
- Ability to work well with others and to develop and maintain compatibility among project staff, subcontractors, and recipients of assistance.
- Computer literate and proficient in the use of word processing and spreadsheets.
- Ability to work with the DHIS and interpret and analyze data
- Excellent written, oral and interpersonal communication skills with ability to work as a team member.
- Ability to travel in Nigeria minimum of 25%.
Qualifications and requirements
- MBBS with 1-3 years post national youth service corps experience at the community level or in the private health sector or similar degree and equivalent experience in public health, social sciences or other relevant areas.
- Or an MPH with 3-5 years post national youth service corps experience at the community level or in the private health sector or similar degree and equivalent experience in public health, social sciences or other relevant areas.
- Or BSc Nursing with 5-7 years post national youth service corps experience at the community level or in the private health sector or similar degree and equivalent experience in public health, social sciences or other relevant areas.
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience in Care and Support at the community level with evidence of increasing official /professional responsibilities. Experience working with orphans and vulnerable will be an added advantage.
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online