The United Nations is the one international organization with the reach and vision capable of solving global problems.
The United Nations Foundation links the UN’s work with others around the world, mobilizing the energy and expertise of business and non-governmental organizations to help the UN tackle issues including climate change, global health, peace and security, women’s empowerment, poverty eradication, energy access, and U.S.-UN relations.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Intern – Public Information, I
- Location: Lagos
- Job Code Title: Intern Public Information
- Department/Office: Department of Global Communications
- Job Opening Number: 20-Public Information-DGC-133077-J-Lagos (A)
- Staffing Exercise: N/A
- Job Type: Temporary Job Opening
Org.Setting and Reporting
- The Department of Global Communications/Strategic Communication division internship is for two months with an opportunity for extension, pending on the needs of the department and the availability of the candidate.
- The internship is UNPAID and full-time. Interns work five days per week (35 hours) under the supervision of a staff member in the department or office to which they are assigned.
- This internship is located in the United Nations Information Centre (UNIC) in Lagos, within the Information Centers Service (ICS), Strategic Communications Division (SCD), Department of Global Communications (DGC).
Daily responsibilities will depend on the individual’s background; the intern’s assigned office as well as the internship period. Duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Compile Daily news headlines from Nigerian media indicating the main news articles of relevance to the United Nations;
- Ensure appropriate content is updated daily on the social media platforms of UNIC Lagos;
- Draft news articles and press releases on key events of the UN;
- Contribute to the organization of commemorative events such UN days observances, UDHR and SDGs campaign, press conference, educational/Media outreaches, etc.;
- Prepare concept notes for events/support planning of events
- Monitor UN News and Media products from HQ to get those relevant to Nigeria.
- Monitor activities of social media platforms of other UN entities in Nigeria to identify possible content useful for UNIC Lagos platforms;
- Participate in ongoing UN communication campaigns;
- Participate in and take notes of selected meetings of importance to the Centre;
- Draft statements/talking points/presentations for Director or NIO on events/activities of the Centre;
- Assist the back office with the implementation of administrative tasks (draft responses, filing, etc.)
- Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- Client Orientation:
- Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seek to see things from their point of view. Establish and maintain productive partnerships with customers by gaining their trust and respect. Identify customer needs and find ways to meet them.
- Follow the evolution of the situation of customers, both inside and outside, in order to be able to anticipate
- The problems. Keep clients informed of the progress of projects. Meet deadlines for delivery of products or service delivery.
To qualify for an internship with the United Nations Internship Programme, the following conditions must be met: Applicants must meet one of the following requirements:
- Be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher);
- Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum Bachelor’s level or equivalent); or
- Have graduated with a university degree (as defined above) and, if selected, must commence the internship;
- Be computer literate in standard software applications;
- Have a demonstrated keen interest in the work of the United Nations and have a personal commitment to the ideals of the Charter; and have a demonstrated ability to successfully interact with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs, which include willingness to try and understand and be tolerant of differing opinions and views.
- Applicants to the UN Internship Programme are not required to have professional work experience. However, a field of study that is closely related to the type of internship that you are for is desirable Languages:
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. Fluency in English is required for the internship. Knowledge of Hausa, Igbo or Yoruba languages is desirable.
- Only Potential candidates will be contacted by the hiring manager directly for further consideration.
How to Apply: Interested and qualified candidates should:
- A completed online application (Cover Note and Personal History Profile) is required. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
The Cover Note must include:
- Title of Degree you are currently pursuing?
- Graduation Date (When will you graduate or when did you graduate from the program?)
- List the IT skills and programs that you are proficient in.
- List your top three areas of interest.
- Explain why you are the best candidate for this specific internship.
- Explain your interest in the United Nations Internship Program. In your online Personal History Profile,Be sure to include all past work experiences, IT skills, and three references.
Application Deadline: 30th May, 2020.
- Due to the high volume of applications received, ONLY successful candidates will be contacted.