United Nations Volunteers (UNV): Apply for the latest United Nations (UN) Youth Volunteer Vacancy / recruitment 2020 via the UNV job recruitment portal.
United Nations Volunteers (UNV)
The United Nations Volunteers (UNV) programme contributes to peace and development through volunteerism worldwide. We work with partners to integrate qualified, highly motivated and well supported UN Volunteers into development programming and promote the value and global recognition of volunteerism. UNV is administered by the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) and reports to the UNDP/UNFPA/UNOPS Executive Board. Read more about the added value of UNV, UN Volunteers and volunteerism.
We mobilize volunteers to serve in UN agencies, both in development programmes and peacekeeping operations
United Nations Volunteers (UNV) Vacancy 2020
Title: UN Youth Volunteer in Policy and Liaison (East and Southern Africa)
- Host Entity: IOM
- Country: Uganda
- Duty Station: Kampala (UGA)
- Language Skills: English
Description of task
As the leading organisation for migration, IOM is actively working on the inclusion of migrants and the different aspects of migration into both the new National Development Plan (III) and United Nations Cooperation Framework (UNCF) which will be adopted mid-2020. The UN Volunteer will support all different aspects in terms of policy development and the mainstreaming of migration, as a cross-cutting issue, in national adoption processes as well as the UNCF and subsequent implementation of programmes.
Under the direct supervision of the Programme Coordinator and close collaboration with the Liaison Officer, the UN Volunteer will undertake the following tasks:
- Participate in the development of follow up mechanism and programming related to the implementation of the new UNCF and NDPIII.
- Assist in mainstreaming and monitoring adherence to frameworks such as the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), Global Compact for Migration (GCM), NDPIII and UNCF in all documents
- Monitor and foster the adherence of IOM prorams with the SDGs;
- Draft policy briefs on issues related to migration as it may be required;
- Attend UN coordination meeting on SDG and ORG as required;
- Support the National Coordination Committee on Migration in defining and monitoring the implementation of annual work plas;
- Support he elaboration of the GCM national action plan;
- Assit in the coordination of the UN Network on Migration in Uganda;
- Assist in the creation of IOM’s country strategy 2021-2025
- Assist the approval process of the National Policy on Migration
- Participate in relevant joint agency assessments, task-force teams, workshops etc.
- Assist the Programme Coordinator and project managers in any other activities as required by operational needs.
Qualifications/RequirementsRequired degree level: Bachelor degree or equivalent.
Education – Additional Comments:
Degree in Law, Social Sciences, International Development, International Relations or another related field
Demonstrated interest and/or experience (up to 2 years) in development projects or in assistance to vulnerable communities in any capacity required.
- English (Mandatory), Level – Fluent
Area of expertise: Other development programme/project experience
Area of expertise details:
Learning and development are a central part of the UN Youth Volunteer’s assignment and take place before, during and after his or her assignment in the field. Ideally, offering diverse opportunities for learning and development aim to strengthen the volunteer’s skills and competences, improve the quality of the assignment and keep the volunteer’s motivation high.
Learning elements for the UN Youth Volunteer include the development of:
- Professional skills: including specific competencies and reflection on assignment-related abilities; and on-the-job skills such as time management, problem solving, team building; and career preparedness such as interview skills, CV preparation, job searching.
- Inter-personal skills: including communication and listening skills; multi-cultural awareness and cultural competency; and conflict and stress management.
- Volunteering-related skills: including leadership; civic responsibility; and engagement and active participation.
Beyond the learning opportunities provided by UNV, the host agency will support knowledge and capacity development in the technical areas that are relevant to the UN Youth Volunteer’s assignment. The host agency will provide, at its expense, UN Youth Volunteers with equal opportunity to participate in training courses and workshops offered to its personnel.
Driving license: No
Accountability, Adaptability and Flexibility, Building Trust, Commitment and Motivation, Commitment to Continuous Learning, Communication, Creativity, Empowering Others, Ethics and Values, Integrity, Judgement and Decision-making, Knowledge Sharing, Planning and Organizing, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity, Self-Management, Vision, Working in Teams
Application procedure for United Nations Volunteers (UNV) Vacancy 2020
This assignment is funded by the Government of Korea, therefore only Korean nationals are eligible to apply. Moreover, candidates must be between 22 and 29 years of age throughout the duration of their service, i.e. born between 1 February 1992 and 1 January 1999.
Please apply via the link below. You can then either log in if you already have an account or register via ‘Candidate Signup’.
You may apply to a maximum of three assignments per advertisement and indicate your order of preference in the ‘Additional Remarks’ section of your profile.
Application deadline: 22 November 2020
Start Date: 22 November 2020
Duration: 12 months
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. The selection will be done by the UN Host Entity at the level of the country of assignment.
COVID-19: In case of travel restrictions, assignments may start remotely or start dates may be postponed.