WaterAid Nigeria – With a population of over 150 million people, Nigeria is the most populous country in Africa. Political unrest, poor governance and corruption have led to decades of water shortages, while the population has increased rapidly.
We are recruiting:
Job Title: Deputy Chief of Party, USAID Urban WASH Programme, Nigeria
- Location: Abuja and Adamawa
- WaterAid is a leading international non-governmental organization focused on increasing sustainable access to water, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH) in the poorest communities in the developing world. WaterAid works in 35 countries, and over the 38 years of its existence, it has reached over 25.8 million people with clean water and 25.1 million people with decent toilets.
- Water Aid is seeking a Deputy Chief of Party for the USAID Funded project Small Town WASH Nigeria. The DCOP will work in concert with the Chief of Party (COP), providing oversight of daily program operations and administration working under the supervision of the Chief of Party for the USAID funded project, Small Town Wash-Nigeria. The Deputy Chief of Party will lead the project in the absence of the Chief of Party for the effective and successful management of the implementation process of the project in the 3 States.
Purpose of Role
- The Deputy Chief of Party will ensure delivery of high-quality interventions and drive strategy, key relationships, and support overall program management. S/he will work closely with technical and administrative staff to proactively plan and implement all technical work including consultancies, studies, partnerships, and trainings. S/he will oversee construction / rehabilitation, operation, quality control, usage, cost recovery and maintenance of WASH infrastructure working closely with relevant government ministries’ and departmental agencies (MDAs), private sector organizations and community leadership. S/he will also provide expert analysis and oversight of all WASH technical areas with the goal to develop and implement interventions that will sustainably increase access and management of water, sanitation and hygiene services in Adamawa, Borno, and Yobe states of Nigeria with frequent visits to project sites – spend up to 30% of time in the field.
- Specifically, the Deputy Chief of Party responsibilities will include the following:
- Support the Chief of Party in the effective coordination of the implementation process of the project in the 3 States through established government WASH institutions in the States
- Support the Chief of Party in the effective management and coordination with other project staff, particularly other key experts of the project in the 3 States.
- support the Chief of Party in the efficiently management of project resources both human and capital with a view to ensuring cost effectiveness and value for money in managing the project.
- Support the Chief of Party in ensuring timely and quality delivery of all consultancies or any other work commissioned under the project in any of the 3 States.
- Develop Terms of Reference (ToR) in collaboration with the Chief of Party for consultancy services to develop or review State level WASH Policies and sector Laws with a view to strengthening institutional capacities to improve WASH service delivery in the 3 States
- As an Urban/Small Town WASH expert, be responsible for overall quality supervision and delivery of all works projects and consultancies in the 3 States.
- Supervise the work and activities of all Small-Town Experts in the other 3 States.
- Initiate all technical actions or activities that require the attention and approval of the Chief of Party including those of the other 2 States.
Team and People Leadership
- Proven leadership skills and sensitivity to cross-cultural and gender equity and diversity, and ability to work with multi-disciplinary teams.
- Demonstrate strategic thinking and time management skills.
- Efficiently resolve conflicts as required and negotiate effectively with team members
- Strongly advocate and promote cohesion and synergy between project teams across the state offices.
- Support the recruitment of competent staff and effectively manage the team to deliver high performance; develop team members in order to maximize their contribution to the team and organization.
- Coach, guide, and mentor leaders of sub teams within the project across the States so that they are effective as leaders and managers in managing their teams.
- Create and maintain a positive environment conducive for high performance of the department.
- Accountable for forecasting and developing periodic budgets for the department; manage day to day expenses in a manner that demonstrates WaterAid value of accountability and provide periodic budget management reports as may be required.
Cross organisation collaboration
Effectively manage matrix management work structure & ability to influence others to achieve results and deliver on time.
Deliver other cross organizational projects and/or initiatives as may be required by the Chief of Party
Scope/method of operation
- The Deputy Chief of Party will oversee daily the entire technical and engineering and administrative operations of project implementation in the 3 States shall be resident in the State capital where the Chief of Party resides from where he/she shall coordinate and communicate with other project teams in the other States. The Deputy Chief of Party shall in addition to his/her administrative role of supporting the Chief of Party in supervising, coordinating, organizing and communicating with the other States, shall be Urban/Small Town WASH Expert of the State where he/she is resident. Other 2 key Experts that will be required for the 3 States will include a Water Utility Expert (Water/Civil Engineer) and a Sanitation/Community Mobilization Expert (WASH Expert) who shall support the respective State Team Leads to ensure effective and successful delivery of the project in their respective State. Each State Team shall have 3 other support staff to include a Project Officer to be in charge of the secretariat/Administrative issues, An office Assistant/Front Desk and a Driver.
- The Deputy Chief of Party will report to the Chief of Party of the project and the Director of Programmes of WaterAid Office in Abuja,but shall equally work very closely with the WASH Technical Lead for effective coordination and communication.
- WaterAid holds in high esteem its core belief and value system, hence, the person will be expected to work within the work ethics and value system of WaterAid and operate within the rules and regulations guiding staff engagement.
- Person Specification.
- Qualification: The proposed Deputy Chief of Party should have a minimum of a Master degree in at least one of the followings: Geology or Hydrogeology; Civil Engineering; Mechanical/Electrical Engineering; or other related disciplines, but with vast knowledge and experience in small town water schemes development and management and Institutional capacity strengthening. Must have knowledge and experience of working with or on USAID supported projects/programmes is required.
General professional experience: A minimum of 5 years post qualification experience in water utility management and WASH programme implementation at Senior Management level within and or outside Nigeria.
Specific professional experience: At least 3 years’ experience in the Nigerian WASH Sector with adequate knowledge of policy, institutional structure, capacity development, regulatory framework including private sector engagement. Must have adequate knowledge of the North-east environment, be proficient in use of Hausa and English languages. Must be proficient in computer skills, especially in MS-Office.
- S/he will have excellent management skills and knowledge of USG procedures and policies, agreement compliance, financial planning and management, procurement, sub award management, and other management support areas/functions.
- Strong strategic, analytical, systems thinking, and problem-solving skills, with capacity to see the big picture and ability to make sound judgment and decisions
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain relationships with host governments, donors, other donor-funded projects and stakeholders, local organizations, and partners.
- Proven ability to lead multidisciplinary teams effectively and manage projects of a similar size and scope.
- Familiarity with the political, economic, social, and cultural context of Nigeria.
- S/He must have strong understanding of WASH governance structures.
- S/he must have solid foundation in a broad range of WASH subjects including areas such as innovative sanitation, sanitation marketing, water for the poor, tariff and cost recovery, hygiene promotion, operation and maintenance, institutional strengthening and sector reform.
- Previous experience as Deputy Chief of Party or Technical Lead on a USAID funded project
- Strong experience implementing development projects in the North East and understanding would be a distinct advantage
- Strong knowledge of recent developments within the WASH landscape
- Experience working on USAID funded projects required
Our People Promise
- We’re looking for people who share a commitment to our vision, and a commitment to playing their part in changing normal. We’re looking for people with an appreciation and respect for different people and ideas, and the energy and expertise to help tackle the most important challenges.
- In return, you can expect to get inspiration from the change you help make happen, a sense of belonging and the feeling of being part of a global community. You will also experience stimulation and fulfilment, the chance to grow, and space to be yourself at your best.
- This is our pledge to you.
How to Apply: If you are interested in the position and have the right skills and attributes, kindly send your CV and suitability statement in one single document to [email protected]
Deadline: May 4, 2020
- to apply for this role you must be able to demonstrate your eligibility to work in Nigeria.
- WaterAid is committed to ensuring that wherever we work in the world there is no tolerance for the abuse of power, privilege or trust. WaterAid reinforces a culture of zero tolerance towards any form of inappropriate behaviour, abuse, harassment, or exploitation of any kind. The safeguarding of our beneficiaries, staff, volunteers and anyone working on our behalf, is our top priority, and we take our responsibilities extremely seriously. All staff and volunteers are required to share in this commitment through our Global Code of Conduct.