The African Union (AU) is a continental body consisting of the 55 member states that make up the countries of the African Continent. It was officially launched in 2002 as a successor to the Organization of African Unity (OAU, 1963-1999). We are an Integrated, Prosperous and Peaceful Africa, driven by its own citizens and representing a dynamic force in the global arena.
We are recruiiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: VIP Protection Personnel (AfCFTA)
Requisition ID: 1511
Location: Accra, Ghana
Job Grade: GSA5
Contract Type: Regular
Organization: African Union
Reports to: Security and Facility Management Officer
Division: Administration and Human Resources Management
Directorate/Department : Administration and Human Resources Management
Number of Positions: 03
Purpose of Job
- Provides daily technical support in the execution of security operations activities in a bid to ensure a safe and secure work environment
- Provide timely safety and security administrative and operational support;
- Assist in activity planning;
- Prepare operational work schedules and follow up implementation;
- Coordinate and/or engage in technical assistance and/or logistical work;
- Assist in the creation, improvement and maintenance of operational processes and systems;
- Prepare office communication and draft reports;
- Handle communication at operational level and provide update;
- Assist in the compilation and maintenance of data and information for preparation, implementation and monitoring of budgets, activities etc.;
- Prepare and review security plan for the VIP movements;
- Protecting the VIP or designated official from threats of physical violence;
- Provide immediate lifesaving treatment to the VIP in the event of an incident/attack;
- Conducting reconnaissance for premises, such as events, hotels, restaurants and theatres, before the VIP arrives;
- Surveying the layout of venues, noting potential hazards and exposure to risks;
- Driving the VIP when required;
- Accompanying the VIP on business and/or social trips;
- Maintain continues communication with security emergency operations center and control room before, on the move and after any movement of the VIP to and from any location;
- Report daily activities and irregularities;
- Gather regularly threat information from Emergency planning and response /threat and risk Unit
- Conduct personal threat assessment to the VIP;
- Plan and conduct security survey of meeting venue’s, hotels, restaurants and theatres, before the VIP arrives;
- Monitor the electronic surveillance equipment used on the premises
- Work with staff to develop safety plans for the buildings that monitored
- Report daily activities and irregularities such as equipment or property damage or theft
- Operate detecting devices to screen individuals and vehicles and prevent passage of prohibited materials or articles into restricted areas
- Perform and other related duties and functions as necessary or incidental to the proper performance of this position.
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Security Studies or related fields with 2 years of relevant work experience in Police, military, or VIP security.
- Diploma in Security Studies or related fields with 3 years of relevant work experience in Police, military, or VIP security;
- Certificate of Security Studies such as military and police with 6 years of experience in military, police or VIP Security would be considered in lieu of a Diploma
- Sound planning and organisational skills
- Good interpersonal skills
- Strong communication ability both orally and in writing
- Proficiency in one of the AU working languages, fluency in another AU language is an added advantage
- Risk Awareness and Compliance
- Teamwork and Collaboration
- Accountability awareness and Compliance
- Learning Orientation
- Communicating Clearly
- Trouble shooting
- Job Knowledge Sharing
- Task Focused
- Continuous Improvement Awareness
Tenure of Appointment
- The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
- The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Proficiency in one of the AU working languages (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese, and Spanish) and fluency in another AU language is an added advantage.
Indicative basic salary of USD 15,758.00 (GSA5 Step1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment ( 57% of basic salary), Housing allowance US$ 16,813.44 (per annum), and education allowance (100% of tuition and other education-related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00 per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally recruited staff.
Application Closing Date
19th December, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Only candidates who have met all the requirements of the post and have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
- Only applications registered online with a complete curriculum vitae (CV) attached will be considered.
- The Africa Union is an equal-opportunity employer, and female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.