Helen Keller International is a global health organization dedicated to eliminating preventable vision loss, malnutrition and diseases of poverty.Cofounded by Helen Keller – and guided by her fierce optimism and belief in human potential – the organization delivers life-changing health solutions to vulnerable families where the need is great but access to care is limited.In the US, Africa, and Asia, Helen Keller’s proven, science-based programs empower people to create opportunities in their own lives and build lasting change.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Wasting Management Consultant
Location: Abuja (FCT)
Employment Type: Contract
Place of Performance: Abuja
Period of Performance: September 5, 2022 – 30, 2022
- The USAID Advancing Nutrition implements and provides technical support to nutrition interventions across sectors and disciplines for USAID and its partners.
- The project’s multi-sectoral approach draws together global nutrition experience to design, implement and evaluate programs that address the root causes of malnutrition. Committed to using a systems approach, USAID Advancing Nutrition strives to sustain positive outcomes by building local capacity, supporting behavior change and strengthening the enabling environment to save lives, improve health, build resilience, increase economic productivity and advance development.
- The overall purpose of the project in Nigeria is to provide technical support to the Government of Nigeria, and other nutrition stakeholders and generate evidence to enhance nutrition programming toward achieving the overall goal of improving nutrition for a healthy, productive, and resilient Nigeria.
Scope of Work
- Place of Performance: Abuja
- Period of Performance: September 5, 2022 – 30, 2022
- USAID Advancing Nutrition is the Agency’s flagship multi-sectoral nutrition project, led byJSI Research & Training Institute, Inc. (JSI), and a diverse group of experienced partners.Launched in September 2018, USAID Advancing Nutrition implements nutrition interventions across sectors and disciplines for USAID and its partners.
- The project’s multi-sectoral approach draws together global nutrition experience to design, implement, and evaluate programs that address the root causes of malnutrition.
- Committed to using a systems approach, USAID Advancing Nutrition strives to sustain positive outcomes by building local capacity, supporting behavior change, and strengthening the enabling environment to save lives, improve health, build resilience, increase economic productivity, and advance development. In Nigeria, the project aims to meet the following objectives.
Objectives of the Project
- Objective 1: Strengthen multi-sectoral linkages and coordination through technical assistance to the Government of Nigeria, the Mission, and implementing partners
- Objective 2: Support the Government of Nigeria to strengthen wasting prevention and treatment services
- Objective 3: Generate evidence and test innovative approaches to improve nutrition programming and inform future designs
- In an effort towards achieving its second objective, the project held a one-day stakeholder consultative forum on wasting management in Nigeria. The forum involved key stakeholders representing government, academia, development partners, bilateral partners, and the organized private sector. The findings from the workshop are meant to serve as a guide for the government of Nigeria and other development partners to develop and implement strategic programs that will address the challenges of Wasting in Nigerian children. Hence, the action point following the consultation meeting is the dissemination of the report to stakeholders for further action.
- To share and facilitate the report of the wasting consultation meeting with very high-level stakeholders
- To develop an action plan on strategies for improved wasting management in Nigeria.
The consultant will work in close collaboration with the USAID Advancing Nutrition team based in Abuja to do the following:
- Design meeting program: Work with the USAID Advancing Nutrition team and some key identified stakeholders in the planning, and design, for the execution of the stakeholders’ meeting.
- Review and summarize the consultation report: Work with the team to review the existing consultation report and other reports, and develop a summary copy and power point presentation for the meeting.
- Facilitate the meeting: In close collaboration with the team, conduct the meeting, ensure discussions are focused on the meeting objectives, and ensure efficient notetaking for reporting.
- Report: Write a draft of the activity report and review drafts with comments and submit a final copy.
Deliverables and Schedule
The consultant is responsible for the timely submission of the following deliverables, as part of the SOW:
|Review and submit a comprehensive summary draft of the wasting consultation report and a power point presentation at the meeting
|September 8, 2022
|Ensure final preparation and conduct the 2- day stakeholders meeting
|September 15, 2022
|Prepare and submit a draft report
|September 21, 2022
|Review comments, and submit the final copy of the report
|September 29, 2022
- The total LOE is approximately equivalent to  days.
- All required deliverables and reports shall be submitted to USAID Advancing Nutrition
- The anticipated duration to complete this task is 15 days, between September 5, 2022, and September 30, 2022.
Ethical and Legal Matters:
The ownership of the draft and final documentation belongs to the agency and the funding donor exclusively. The document, or publication related to it, will not be shared with anybody except USAID Advancing Nutrition has approved of it. USAID Advancing Nutrition is to be the main addressee of the report. USAID Advancing Nutrition is likely to share the activity report with the following groups:
- Various coordination bodies
- Government stakeholders
- For independent consultancies, the consultant mustn’t have any links to project management or any other conflict of interest that would interfere with the independence of the activity.
Intellectual Property Right:
- All documentation related to the assignment (whether in the course of duties) shall remain the sole and exclusive property of USAID Advancing Nutrition.
The consultant will have the following minimum qualifications:
- Minimum of a Master’s Degree in Nutrition, Public Health, or a similar related field.
- 10+ years of experience in nutrition/ public health programming
- Extensive knowledge of the management (prevention and treatment) of acute malnutrition especially ‘wasting’.
- Extensive experience in organizing and conducting nutrition (or similar) workshops, high-level stakeholder meetings
- Experience in writing qualitative meeting and workshop reports.
- Proficient in English (written and oral communication skills).
- Strong personal discipline and capacity to respect deadlines, even if under pressure.
- The ability to work closely in a team, to be patient, adaptable, and flexible.
- Relevant experience in similar work will be an added
Application Closing Date
25th August, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV to: nigeria.recruitment@Hki.org using the position title as the subject of the mail.